Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center an imported .svg on a centered construction line

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
5889 Views, 12 Replies

Center an imported .svg on a centered construction line

I am an idiot.

I cannot for the life of me figure out this app.

Okay modeling a guitar neck...I created a construction line that represents the scale length "25.5" in this case.

Next I insert a plane along path at position 0.0 on the construction line. Then I create a new sketch and Insert the svg file of profile 1. When it imports it aligns it top and left corner to the line. I need it to be aligning on the top and the center of the graphic. It is a complex neck design so I have 8 profiles all different heights and widths created at the appropriate place on the construction line. As you can Image the lofted neck is aligned at the top left so only the right edge values change. Isn't there a simple center geometry command?

Thank you!

Ron

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Anonymous

Noted that you have not received a response in several hours, so I will jump in. 

1. You can position the SVG when you import it. 

2. If you are in direct modeling mode (not capturing history) you can move sketches, including aligning them with other geometry. Moving sketches is not possible in history based modeling. 

However...

I may not be understanding your intent. Some screenshots might help. 

Are the shapes you are importing (for a loft?) maybe better created inside Fusion? That might provide better control, partially over downstream editing. SVG import is typically used for complex graphics like logos. I guess i want to back up a bit and look at your workflow and strategy to get to your goal. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Thank you.

I have since switched to importing a .png and manually created the shapes with native fusion sketches.

My problem now is that I cant figure out how to align an object to a common point. everything is quite precise to .001 having to break out of workflow to measure then calculating the mid point then go into move and key in the translate values is wearing very thin with me.

Not to mention I would expect there to be an X/Y/Z value tree to be displayed when creating and or moving a point.

The loft by rail functionality requires perfect intersections to work properly...makes sense...but where is the tool that would ensure that when I create a sketch object that is something like snap to x?

Im not using sketch planes often, so I keep creating sketches and working in that context...which I suspect is not the proper way to do it since I intend to cnc the different parts individually.

Message 4 of 13
laughingcreek

can you post a model (file/export .f3d) and maybe a screen cast of what your doing.  I suspect there are several things you could be doing differently to make your life easier. 

Message 5 of 13
g-andresen

Hi Ron,

When you import an SVG, the graphic is fixed, as you can see from the green color of the lines. In this state, positioning is no longer possible after inserting the SVG and is very limited during SVG insertion.
With the right mouse button > release the graphic becomes editable (lines blue).
Then the positioning is possible either via the move option "point to point" or in the menu with corresponding values for directions and angles.
The answer is based on assumptions, because your pure word description does not allow any more.

So : please upload picture and file!

regards

günther

Message 6 of 13
raycon2010

Taking a step back from the PNG import. I took a look at your main SVG file. It has a lot of info.

To simplify things. Consider splitting out the individual SVG objects from your main file.

The SVG format is XML based  you can pull out detail from large files real quick. Using search cut and paste from an XML editor  or a text editor and saving each node as its own file.   As an example I grabbed a few neck profiles at frets 1,6,12 from your main SVG file and created separate files. The image is a screen print from the main SVG file showing 3  "object nodes". (Whether or not the grabbed content is active or obsolete is TBD)

SVGScreenPrint.jpg

The individual files  can be inserted into their appropriate sketch planes  and moved to have a common origin or edited. If you go this route remember to fix/unfix  and maybe add a construction line at the geometric center to make repositioning easier. It took longer to write this post than it did to split out the content and insert into fusion.

Message 7 of 13
raycon2010
in reply to: raycon2010

Loft.jpg

I attached a screen grab of a "loft" between frets 1 and 12 with a spacing of 12 . The below image is the 2 profiles used for the loft. The profiles were positioned at X0Y0 of each sketch plane using added construction lines (move command point to point) .

Inserted 2 profiles spaced 12" apartInserted 2 profiles spaced 12" apart

Message 8 of 13
HughesTooling

I think you are going to come to regret trying to use SVGs for such simple parts. The SVGs are segmented and will become a problem when you try blending\filleting into other parts.

You can see here the shape is just part of a circle but the extrusion from the SVG is segmented into many straight line segments, is this what you actually want? If you want a smooth surface you'll be able to work with in Fusion you're wasting you time with these poor quality SVGs.

Clipboard07.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
g-andresen
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi Mark,

I completely agree with you.
I think the values in this picture speak for themselves.

svg vs. 3 point arcsvg vs. 3 point arc

günther

Message 10 of 13
raycon2010

In this case. I'd ignore the imported profile  and look at the bigger picture the main  SVG file.  It's a 25,000 line file. The exported profiles are 30+/- lines each of SVG.   T

I'd probably try and work with the SVG file a bit.

Outside of Fusion

The below image shows the (Fret Profile  #1) polyline and  its path end points.  AI or  Inkscape may have  a  polyline to Path or Union or Combine path command - which will merge the points onto one path.  Creating cleaner geometry for an SVG import.  This would be done outside of Fusion. Ideally with a Select All command and  a mouse click.

nodes.jpg

End goal being to create a model for CAM from "this" SVG file.

I'd  export the SVG sections/views from the main file I was interested in to separate SVG's.   Instead of tracing imported images. Overlaying a second sketch on top of the imported SVG. Using sketch 1  snap points to create sketch 2 geometry.   Deleting sketch 1 which has  the imported SVG profile when done. My end goal being a replica of what the SVG file contained "quickly". 

Below image. Imported neck x-section and started tracing the shape onto a second sketch - blue lines.

neck.svg exported from main.svgneck.svg exported from main.svg

Message 11 of 13
raycon2010
in reply to: g-andresen

Nice job on the overlay.

The engineer in me says keep the original detail don't approximate with an arc. Clean up the curve. If it were a cam we'd all agree .001's matter.

Message 12 of 13
HughesTooling

@raycon2010 wrote:

Nice job on the overlay.

The engineer in me says keep the original detail don't approximate with an arc. Clean up the curve. If it were a cam we'd all agree .001's matter.

The trouble is the original is where all the inaccuracy is coming from. As a similar example make a cylinder in Fusion and export as an STL with course setting, reimport and make a section from the mesh, this is pretty much what's in this SVG.

Also the difference in a circle picked from 3 high points on the imported segments is a lot closer than the above example. See attached file. This shows the deviation at the midpoint of the lines at the corners it's far less.

Clipboard02.png

There have been several posts over the years with imported guitars as SVG and DXF and in the end trying to fix the imported poor quality curve lead to a dead end as it always killed fillets and blends later in the design. More time was wasted trying to use the import than it took to trace using splines, arcs and lines and now we have control point splines it would be faster and easier.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Yeah I gave up on SVGs. I had a .png of the same file that I imported to use as a template and I built all the parts with native objects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report