Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't delete part of my model

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3556 Views, 12 Replies

can't delete part of my model

Hi can anyone help with this? i try to delete a random face on my model and it's no go. select and hit DEL and i get an error message "selected part is read only". i use Modify...Delete, the delete dialog box appears and when i go to select something it won't select. here's a screenshot:

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

unfortunately you cannot simply delete that part.

A simple way to do it is to select that face and click on extrude or simply type "E".

Then drag the blue arrow downward and you will delete the part.

Hope it was useful

Giuseppe

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

thanx for the reply, but that doesn't seem to work either. look

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

ok YES!

because in the extrude panel that you have on the right of your screen you have selected the option "join".

instead you have to select the option "cut"

🙂

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

thank you again but still no go...

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

.... it is really strange..

I will try to find out what happens

Message 7 of 13
josef.kucera

Hi @Anonymous

I can look at your design if you share it with me. You can send a file to via PM or to my email: josef dot kucera at autodesk dot com...

Regards,

Josef

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: josef.kucera

hmmm... all my files are saved on my folder in the data panel but i don't know how to upload them here. where on my disk is the data panel?

Message 9 of 13
josef.kucera

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
Message 11 of 13
josef.kucera

Hi @Anonymous

thanks for the design.

I am not sure what is your intention with the design but when I upload the f3z file I see three designs: "steadycamLower" inserted/linked into "platform" and "platform" inserted into "untitled" design.

From the video you attached is not obvious which design are you editing but I made two screencasts videos with different approaches of removing an unwanted part from model:

1) first approach is opening of a referenced design, save and update linked file in the assembly:

2) second would be in-place edit but referenced design (link) has to be broken...

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Ok so it appears that the problem occurs because i'm not opening my files for editing, i'm creating a new design every time and dragging an existing model onto the new canvas from the data panel.

thanx so much and thanx giodesiato i was just doin it wrong.

mike

Message 13 of 13
josef.kucera

Actually it's not a problem it's as designed.

Inserting design into another design produce a new assembly with referenced/linked design which could be edited/updated way I showed in the first video...

Josef

Josef Kucera

Fusion QA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report