Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete file because previous version is referenced to another file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
juampi_soraire
174 Views, 2 Replies

Can't delete file because previous version is referenced to another file

I'm going to explain it with an example to see if it's understood.

I have the file "A" to which I referenced files "1," "2," and "3" in previous versions. Now, the file "A" in its latest version no longer has the history enabled and does not have any body, component, etc., nor anything referenced within it.

I understand that I can't delete files "1," "2," and "3" because they are in a previous version of file "A." The problem is that I can't delete file "A" in any way either.

Is there a way to delete all the old versions of "file A" to eliminate the "version history" and thus never have had references?

Or is there any trick or method to solve it?

I can't do it from Fusion or A360. The problem is that file "A" has more than 100 versions, and while I could find the versions where the references are, it doesn't help me at all.

If I wanted to delete the links in old versions, I couldn't save them as "old versions," but as another file or as the "most recent version," but it's a loop without a solution.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

@juampi_soraire wrote:

Is there a way to delete all the old versions of "file A" to eliminate the "version history" and thus never have had references?

Or is there any trick or method to solve it?

Usually you can do this by,  Save As file 'A' as say 'A-new", then delete file 'A', finally rename 'A-new' to 'A'  If anything references file 'A' such as 2D drawings then this will not work unless you also delete the drawings first.

If you do have 2D drawings stopping you, then you can use  'copy with drawings' from the data panel to get a new history-less version, then delete the old stuff. ( I have not actually tried this but can not see any issues)

However I find the easiest way to deal with this is have a Trash or Redacted folder and drop older unused stuff in there.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks for your reply!
I tried both ways and couldn't do it. It's strange.
Finally, I came up with the "trash" folder. It's a little problem for my OCD of having everything clean, but it's the solution for now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report