Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in sketches when creating basic geometry?

60 REPLIES 60
SOLVED
Message 1 of 61
fredgenius
5372 Views, 60 Replies

Bug in sketches when creating basic geometry?

After the most recent update, there's something strange happening in the sketch workspace. If I sketch a circle and type a value, after pressing enter, the dimension is not what I typed. Same with rectangles, lines, and polygons.

60 REPLIES 60
Message 41 of 61
StuffAndyMakes
in reply to: Phil.E

Aweyeah! That appears to have resolved the issue. Thanks tons!

Message 42 of 61
Materia.Artigiana

Yes, it works perfect now! Thanks

Message 43 of 61
StuffAndyMakes
in reply to: fredgenius

I'm seeing the same weird behavior in sketching again. This time, however, I'm using User Variables.

For context, I use a variable named, "BrickLength" and its value is 9 inches.

See attached video.

Message 44 of 61
Anonymous

I was having this issue all weekend. Every time I try to create a circle or rectangle in the Sketch tool the dimensions lock. If I type quickly enough I can get a dimension in but if I type slowly the dimension locks after the first character. Then if I click escape to unlock F360 crashes. Pretty well have to give up using F360 until this is fixed.

I'm using Windows 10, 20H2, 19042.867 and F360 2.0.9854, personal.

What version has the patch mentioned last week?

Message 45 of 61
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

The fix last week was intended to solve the crash. It did not for everyone. There is more work to do. From the testing efforts we're finding it very hard to reproduce the crash beyond what we fixed last week. This might be design related, where some designs can more easily trigger it.

@StuffAndyMakes Can you confirm that the behavior changed after the last update? Also I don't see a crash report from you. Did you ever get it to crash? Could you possibly share that design in the video.

@Anonymous  If you could please make an Autodesk Screencast or mp4 video to show the workflow it will help get this fixed faster. Do you see this in a blank new design, or only a well developed design? If you have a particular design that can reproduce the issue reliably, please share.

For anyone continuing to crash in sketch dimension workflows, a key question: Is your machine one that once was using Windows 7 for the operating system?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 46 of 61
Anonymous

My drawing does not crash, but the issue is still happening where a sketch will not accept dimension changes and I am forced to escape out and restart the sketch drawing.  It occurs very randomly and does not seem to be consistent.  It is happening less since the last change, but it is still occurring. 

Clean install of Windows 10.

Message 47 of 61
StuffAndyMakes

@Phil.EI haven't had a crash in Fusion 360 in a long time. Definitely haven't experienced a crash relating to this sketch behavior. My experience is similar to @Anonymous. The lockups are definitely less frequent, do not cause crashes, and appear to be random.

And, FWIW, I sometimes leave Fusion up and running for DAYS, and still no crashes. So, kudos from my perspective. 🙂

Also, this computer is brand new as of August 2020, so it's always been a Windows 10 machine.

Message 48 of 61
Anonymous

Of course as usually happens I cannot make F360 crash now that I'm recording. In fact I can't get the locking dimension issue to repeat either. When I was having problems previously with F360 crashing I would recovery from backup, re-edit the sketch and slowly worked my way through my design doing a recover after each crash. Now that I'm done and completed a save without crashing I no longer have any recovery files. 

Is it possible that it was being caused by something in the recovery file? Maybe something from before the last patch?

If I can get it to repeat then I'll post again.

Message 49 of 61
StuffAndyMakes

Maybe this is related, maybe not, but because I walk away from working on sketches from time-to-time, I do get those errors about Fusion not being able to create a backup. I'll come back to continue on a sketch and everything is fine, other than the occasional dimension lockup thing.
Message 50 of 61
Anonymous
in reply to: StuffAndyMakes

I was having this problem and was happy that it was addressed in a patch today. However, I'm still having the problem, if anything more reliably than before. Often one of 2 dimensions (say, on a rectangle) is ignored or reverts to wherever the value was when the mouse stopped and I have to manually enter it again.

Message 51 of 61
Phil.E

The fix last week was intended to solve the crash. It did not for everyone. There is more work to do. This might be design related, where some designs can more easily trigger it. Do you think this is true? Or can you get this affect in a brand new, nearly empty design?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 52 of 61
Anonymous

I have had it happen in a band new design in the initial sketch.

Message 53 of 61
Anonymous

Unfortunately I've been unable to get it to repeat while recording but after picking up today's update I've also had the crash on a new design, create sketch. draw a rectangle and then the dimensions lock where the cursor left off. If I click escape then sometimes F360 crashes. I did submit an error report but I don't know if that has any useful details: 302505486 

Message 54 of 61
HughesTooling

@Phil.E  Thought this bug was fixed after the last update but after running for a while I'm still getting the problem, this it was intermittent before as well. I use hibernate quite often, not sure if that's the problem. Pretty certain closing and restarting Fusion will fix it again but closing and reopening all the designs I have open takes time I don't want to waste.

Edit Also notice when it's a problem you need to type the number quite fast, if you wait more than about half a second the number turns blue and trying to add .5 clears the number you've entered. First circle entered fine but the next shows the problems.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 55 of 61
HughesTooling

@Phil.E wrote:

The fix last week was intended to solve the crash. It did not for everyone. There is more work to do. This might be design related, where some designs can more easily trigger it. Do you think this is true? Or can you get this affect in a brand new, nearly empty design?

@Phil.E  You mention a crash in a couple of posts but I don't see any posts in this thread about crashing, only problems entering a dimension. 

Also from the what's new it only mentions the problem entering a dimension not about a crash, am I missing something?

HughesTooling_0-1616089612161.png

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 56 of 61

Some one else with the problem entering a number and it turns blue and overwrites before you finish typing.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/when-dimensioning-a-sketch-the-number-gets-highlig...

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 57 of 61
Anonymous

I've had the same problem for a while. I've just started Fusion, which it tells me is up-to-date, and started a new component. The first sketch is a rectangle for a base plate. First it won't let me type in one of the dimensions until I backspace and delete enough times to clear the field out. Then after inputting it successfully, I hit Enter and it disappears and is replaced by an apparently random number. So then I have to re-dimension it. It's a Win 10 system although was previously (at least a year ago) Win 7. I've had no other issues with any other software.

Message 58 of 61
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling If I haven't been clear: we are well aware of this issue and are working to solve the problem as soon as possible.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 59 of 61
Phil.E

@HughesTooling At first there was an associated crash. If the number got locked incorrectly and the dimension was erased it would crash. Hitting ESC at just the right moment also made it crash. That now appears to be fixed, but I'm going to monitor this closely for a while to be sure.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 60 of 61
Phil.E

@HughesTooling Thanks for the links. The only way I can reproduce the "overwriting" blue dimension effect is to move the mouse while entering numbers. I'm using win 10. If you can reproduce this after today's update, without moving the mouse, please post a fresh report with a video. If win 7 or 8 is involved, please make a note of it. Glad to dig in.

There is an update today to address the dimensions locking on the wrong value issue. Please update Fusion 360 to build 2.0.9937

To receive the update:
1. Restart Fusion 360
2. Wait for the update to start, you'll see a small 1 appear on the job status icon (the clock)
3. Click on the clock icon to watch the progress
4. Click Restart when the update is ready

5. Check Help > About box for build number

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report