Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug from 2017 still present - Can't extrude text

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
tsenPFFLN
854 Views, 30 Replies

Bug from 2017 still present - Can't extrude text

It seems this bug has been present since 2017, when I search for a solution in the forums. 
I can't share the file as I am working on confidential material, but I can describe the issue. 
I have created a plane in an assembly and written one word with the font Soho Gothic Pro. in a height of 1,2025 mm. 
I cannot extrude the text. I tried to explode the text as I read in a thread should help, but then get the error "Could not retrieve the profiles of the selected text!" 
I need to extrude the text, but I'll now try with an .svg from illustrator outlines instead, but this makes the text module of fusion unusable and pointless for me.. I hope it get's prioritized and fixed soon! 🙂 

Labels (2)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
g-andresen
in reply to: tsenPFFLN

Hi,

1. Fusion prefers OTF Fonts

2. Please share a sample text in SVG to analyze the contours

günther

Message 3 of 31
tsenPFFLN

How can I share an SVG of text in fusion? as stated I cannot disclose the details of what I am working on, but the letters are exmoFlD, in the letter height 1.2025

Message 4 of 31
Warmingup1953
in reply to: g-andresen

No, I believe the font type that Fusion 360 is designed for is True Type Font.

Message 5 of 31
Warmingup1953

Can you share the Font installed on your Workstation? OS?

Message 6 of 31

Message 7 of 31
Warmingup1953

Do you mean ~~ one point two mm? That is microscopic.

Message 8 of 31
g-andresen
in reply to: Warmingup1953

Hi,

@Warmingup1953 wrote:

No, I believe the font type that Fusion 360 is designed for is True Type Font.

We have different information and experiences.
There is no general statement which font causes less problems, but in most cases OTF is more favorable.

günther

Message 9 of 31
g-andresen

Hi,

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

How can I share an SVG of text in fusion? as stated I cannot disclose the details of what I am working on, but the letters are exmoFlD, in the letter height 1.2025

save as SVG and attach it to your post

günther

Message 10 of 31
Warmingup1953

Calls for a Smack-Down!...I've always gone ttf but I defer in this case as I really don't know any more than what I've listened to. The Font in question, like most these days is available as .ttf and .otf so if the OP really needs that font they can trial both. All that being said I think many if not all would agree that Fusion 360 front handling is. WIP! I'm interested in clarification of Cap height from the OP. There are specific fonts that are crafted as small fonts.

Message 11 of 31
tsenPFFLN

the mm size of the font should be an issue in Fusion, should it? I mean, the scale shouldn't matter in regards to being able to extrude it? 
I actually thought the font's was pulled from a fusion library and not from my pc's font library, but it seems I was wrong in this assumption? 
But yes, the font height is in this case one point two mm. It's laser edged onto the side of a hearing aid, and I'm making a render of an already produced device, with a font that's specified/locked, so suggestions for other font's are not of any help. I just don't see the point in being able to select font's that can't be used in fusion. 

Message 12 of 31
HughesTooling

@tsenPFFLN  Don't know if I missed it but what font are you trying to use?

Edit Read though again and see it's Soho Gothic Pro

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 31
g-andresen

Hi,

again:

share the SVG

günther

Message 14 of 31
tsenPFFLN

again: 
I cannot share a sketch as svg, only DXF. Are you not able to recreate the error with the given information? image included of the options I get when I right click on a sketch. 

tsenPFFLN_0-1693997219817.png

Message 15 of 31
HughesTooling

I used Rhino to create a DXF and not sure why Fusion would have a problem as the curves from he font seem pretty good and create nice clean surfaces. I'd suggest making a support ticket as reporting here is probably not going to get logged. I've attached my DXF.

HughesTooling_0-1693998041755.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 31
tsenPFFLN

Yes, I also am able to make it work with a DXF imported from Illustrator, but not directly with text from Fusion. I'll make a support ticket and hope they get they get it working sooon..

Message 17 of 31
HughesTooling

Just had time to restart Fusion and test and for me it works! I downloaded the font from here.

Here's the extrude directly from the text without exploding.

Clipboard01.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 18 of 31
tsenPFFLN
in reply to: HughesTooling

the one you linked is bold, I'm using the regular. Do you test it with the bold version or the regular? 🙂 

Message 19 of 31
TheCADWhisperer

@tsenPFFLN wrote:

I cannot disclose the details of what I am working on, but the letters are exmoFlD

Make up dummy file that exhibits the behavior and attach the dummy file here.

If you can’t reproduce this behavior in a dummy file, how are others supposed to reproduce the issue?

Message 20 of 31
tsenPFFLN

I never stated that it couldn't be reproduced, I just was asked to provide an SVG which isn't possible. I don't really get the hostile tone going on here, But I guess that's what you guess for asking in a forum. It's literally just writing the text and pressing extrude, so I think it's faster to make than to import. But no worries, dummy file attached, with the issue present. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report