Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Can't edit Missing Reference in Joint dialog

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
etfrench
611 Views, 11 Replies

Bug: Can't edit Missing Reference in Joint dialog

Currently any seemingly minor change in an external linked file breaks joints.  Once broken, the joint can't be repaired.  User should be able to reselect the missing joint origin.

ETFrench

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jeff_strater
in reply to: etfrench

the core bug here was fixed earlier this year.  You can re-select a missing component reference.  However... there are restrictions.  The new joint origin (explicit or implicit) must be a "sibling" (same level in the hierarchy) from the original.  It all has to do with where the joint ends up in the hierarchy, and changes to the path might relocate the joint, etc, etc.  It is on our list to fix, but not currently scheduled.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 12
etfrench
in reply to: jeff_strater

It looks like the screencast didn't make it into the post.  I haven't been able to select a new joint origin for the second component whenever this has happened.  All components are translucent.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
sfoxen

I see that Autodesk claims to have fixed the core bug earlier this year; however, I am still frequently having a similar issue to what was described above. 

I have a model with various externally saved PCBAs that I have mated into enclosures (Sorry, I can't share).  In the native file for the PCBAs, I replaced the main bodies that were being referenced in the external assembly, and the joints understandably broke.

When I attempt to edit the joint, I cannot clear the missing reference selection of the edit joint dialog box so that I can select the new body.  Additionally, the new body of the PCBA is greyed out, and I cannot select any of its geometry.  

Message 5 of 12
ceburekas

Super annoying bug. I think these simple bugs should be prioritised instead of adding new features. 

Message 6 of 12

Mid-2022. Another September updates but this bug still happening.

Message 7 of 12
melUK3JM

Many months further, still the same issue.
Autodesk can you please fix this bug?

Message 8 of 12
etfrench
in reply to: melUK3JM

I've been able to fix missing references since this bug was fixed.  Can you make a video of your current issue and provide the related files?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
melUK3JM

As the lead designer for a company (https://ecokit.com.au/), over the years we have created a library of tens of thousands of files that get together assembled to complete houses that can be CNC produced from plywood.

When individual parts get updated, often the joints of the assemblies break. When joints can be simply edited to repair it is a blessing. But mostly joints have to be remade.
Even leading to extreme tensions in-between the team members as one simply needs to make an update or fix an error, but can result for the other to get hours up to a day of work to fix the assemblies after that.

Mostly one part of the joint is still functioning, but the other part is: Missing reference. No point can be selected as all parts are filtered transparent and non selectable. 

melUK3JM_0-1704642318248.png

The selectability disappears when the original part that had the Snap point has been updated, but this is unfortunately mostly the case.

The only solution is to move the timeline slider to the point of failure, make a new joint and delete the failed one. Doing this for up to a hundred parts is a time consuming and costly bug in the Fusion 360.

Is there a way when editing a broken joint to release the filters and select any part again as if making a new Joint?

Message 10 of 12
TrippyLighting
in reply to: melUK3JM

If the selection for the missing reference is to be on the same component as before, the joint does not need to be re-created.

However, in order to be able to select that geometry, you need to first set the  assembly/component/geometry to selectable.

The browser image you shared indicates that the two linked files are set to non-selectable.

I am convinced you can select the needed new reference if you change that to selectable.

TrippyLighting_0-1704747167459.png

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
melUK3JM

Sorry in the picture before, the non-selectable mark is not the problem. I gave a wrong example picture.

Here a better example:
The edit joint function to fix issues after updating or replacing a component, makes it useless because nothing can be selected. The only way to fix this is to make a new joint. If Fusion would allow to unmask the selection filter, it would improve functionality greatly.

melUK3JM_0-1706822447998.png

Message 12 of 12
uzochi

It's 2024 and it seems that the joint problem continues. So, just updated a component, then updated the general assembly and most of the joints are missing the references (red icon in the timeline). Try to edit the joint to snap the new reference, but i can't select anything. Going to spend some time deleting the old joints and create new ones.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report