Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bodies to components

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
PeterBelfanti
499 Views, 6 Replies

bodies to components

http://a360.co/1KjrjdE

I've created a body that shows up in the linked assembly.  The assembly already has several components. 

My issue is that the body I want to create for another component keeps gettiing created in an already created component.  This creates a subassembly of the exisitng top level design. 

How do I move or create Body3 shown here to the top level, so I can create it as a component and not a sub assembly component of bracket:1

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 7.33.56 AM.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

There are no linked components in your file. At least none are visible ein yur browser ot timeline.

A linked component as far as Fusion 360 is concernd is a component that resides in it's own file and then is inserted into your current design. These show a chanin link symbol in the browser and I don't see any of thoose. As such I am assumig you mean something else with "linked" ?

If you wan to create a subcomponent in another component you need to first activate that component.

In your design every unique body should reside in it's own component.

The first thing you shoule be doing when starting to create a new object is to create a component and then activat the component.

that will guarantee that all sketches, bodies etc. that make up that compoenta are located in that component in the Browser tree.

Component activation is a crucial element in designin in Fusion 360.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

From the look of your timeline you're not activating components when you work on them so all the features are in the main component not the individual components.

If you look at this image the colour in the timeline match the main component. You will find managing the time line a lot easier if you make a component then activate it and do all the steps for that component.

Capture.PNG

See this thread for info on quick-tip-why-you-should-activate-a-component

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7

So I see now that I've completely hosed up my features and made refrences / features very poorly.    I'll stumble through this for now but I understand it now for future work. 

Is there any way to drag features into components or the top level to reorginize my mistakes.. or is it just a re-model it correctly situation?

Message 5 of 7

If you've used Create Components from Bodies it not easy fix also something with that many components might be difficult to unpick. You could try deleting the Create Components from Bodies features in the timeline then try the following.

Create an empty component select the first sketch that makes a body you want as a component and drag it into the empty component.

Capture5.PNG

If all goes well you should get all the features for that body in the component. See timeline with component active show all features for that component.

Clipboard02.png

If you use Create Components from Bodies Fusion doen't let you drag the features into the component so you end up with the sketches and features stuck in the main componant.

Capture04.PNG

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

He he 😉

Dont worry aboiut that too much. I redesigned my first project in Fusion 3 times before I had it right.

If you follow a specific workflow it is possible, under the right circumastances, to reorganize the body and sketch into a component.

After creating a body frokm a sketch, dont use create component from body. Create an emppty compoent and that drag the body into that empty component. If everything goes as planne that wi,ll also drag the sketch that was used to create that body into the compoponent. I amnot at my Fusion station so I dont know what is correct at the moment, whether you need to drage the sketch or the body into that component.

It may not work if you created more than one body with the same sketch. It may also fail if that sketch references geometry fome a body, or sketch in another component.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Being a pro/E guy..  I understand the refrences issues that I've created...   Thanks for the tips.   

I'll get it right in my next assembly for sure, now that I understand how the feature tree / and activation works.   

I've got all my tool path and NC code written on this model and don't want to start over at this point, for my poor choices.   I'll get the parts I need cut and then likely never come back to the design, and act like it never happened. Man Wink

Cheers

Pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report