Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to model this simple bracket? Beginner question

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
fusion3602QFAS
1249 Views, 14 Replies

Best way to model this simple bracket? Beginner question

Hello! I come from Cinema 4D and now getting started with Fusion 360 to get more precise in my models.

I would like to know which is the best way to model a bracket like the one in the picture, with the ability to change dimensions and angles whenever I wish:

perspective view.png

The way I approached this model:

1 - I drew lines of each face in the right view

2 - Applied Extrude from the Surface menu.

The problem with this approach is that I cannot give dimensions on the front view, which I am only able to see after I apply the Extrude command. I would like to, for example, make the top face edge narrower, as it is in the technical drawing below:

technica drawing.png

To better illustrate what I need to achieve, here is another image:

problem.png

Another way I tried to tackle this model was by drawing everything in a single skech in the front view. The problem then, was that I do not know how I could rotate the faces to specific angles:

Another approach. Drawing everything in the front view. I used a single sketch.Another approach. Drawing everything in the front view. I used a single sketch.

If you had to model this object, how would you do it? Draw in the front or side view? Another way?

I would like some guidance on what would be the steps, like 'draw in the front view, then extrude, then add thickness...".

Thank you very much! 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Trim surface and Thicken.

or

Flange

Unfold

Extrude

Refold

Back in a few minutes.

Edit: Is this a school assignment?  Do you have a technical drawing showing the dimensions of the part in folded form?

What is the thickness of the material?

Folded Bracket.PNG

Message 3 of 15

I'd use the Sheet Metal workspace for this. You can create it in the flattened state as per your drawing then add the bends.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.

Marcus Wakefield

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You'll find it here. Hope you find it useful.
Message 4 of 15

Wow wow! Exactly what I want to model.

I'm trying out to help the engineers of my work with some 3d modeling, although it's not my area (I am a graphic designer).

Thanks a lot for your time showing me this. I will study the file to see how you achieved it and try to do one myself. I might bother you again asking how you did something I couldn't replicate, I hope that's fine 🙂

Message 5 of 15

...and the finished part Attached.

Message 6 of 15

Quick question: how do you set the thickness after you add the Flange?

Thanks once again!

Message 7 of 15

Edit RuleEdit Rule

Message 8 of 15

Thanks again! I am getting close to the model. you created.

I came into a problem:

The way I draw it using the front view wasn't centered, meaning that any action with symmetry it's useless. I would like to achieve the same end result of the drawing you have in your file (it is centered).

Is there a way to center all my first drawing? I've seen tutorials showing how to center but they are always using a single draw as an example. I will need to move everything.

move to center.png

Message 9 of 15

If you can upload your file or a link to it we'll take a look.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.

Marcus Wakefield

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You'll find it here. Hope you find it useful.
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for considering it.

I could achieve a final result as I wanted. Of course it would be better if I could center the drawing to make the circle wholes with symmetry. I have attached my file.

Message 11 of 15

Your Sketch1 is not fully defined and you have wayyyyyyyy too many dimensions.

Establish a Construction line for symmetry and use Symmetry constraints.

Message 12 of 15

I put all dimensions on Sketch1 in order to be a single place if I need to change anything in the base sketch.

Is it a bad practice? 

and what do you mean with not fully defined?

Thanks

Message 13 of 15

Examine my Sketch1.

Note all dimensions needed for the model.

Note all geometry is black (no blue geometry).

Note Lock symbol on Sketch1 in browser.

Note duplicated dimensions removed.

Message 14 of 15

Examine the Attached file and now apply a Coincident constraint in Sketch1 between the Origin and the central point.

Move Sketch.png

Message 15 of 15

I was able to set it to the center after following your instructions. Your Sketch as lots of Construction lines, which were not in mine.  I guess I need to study a lot more about using Constraints as well.

Do you have any tutorials to recommend regarding Constraints and Construction lines that I could watch?

Once again thank you a lot for your time helping me out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report