Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to merge two objects without deforming either

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1243 Views, 7 Replies

Best way to merge two objects without deforming either

Hi,

I am trying to merge two objects that have creased sections without deforming either, what is the best way of doing this in the sculpt mode?

To simplify the problem i've created two boxes in sculpt mode. As you can see, both objects have creased lines in the middle that are perpendicular to each other. After merging the two, the base object's shape is deformed near the creased lines of the vertical object. So what is the best way to merge these two?

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
brucehuang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi hama,

Currently, looks like there's not a good approach to combine two TSpline body without any deforming. But I think you can do the merge after converting to a solid body. You can prepare the TSpline bodies in a form feature (in parametric modeling). Then use "Combine" command to merge the solid bodies. Just note that the input of "Combine" command must be solid body. So for your case, you can use "Fill Hole" command in Form environment to fill the holes (remember check the "Maintain Crease Edges" option). I attached a sample file for your reference, and feel free to let me know if you need a video to show you the workflow.

fillhole.png

Bruce (Fusion development)

Message 3 of 8
brucehuang
in reply to: brucehuang

Oops, forgot to attach the sample file.

Message 4 of 8
TrippyLighting

Not sure I fully understand what being asked. If the first image is two separate bodies, then after joining can you not create another creas at the base of the fin ?

In general, joining two bodies with uneven counts of edge loops and creases generates pretty bad topology for further editing.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I don't want the merged section to be creased and I don't want the edges of the base/bottom part to be deformed either.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: brucehuang

I want to remain in the sculpt mode, there's so much more sculpting to be done.

Message 7 of 8
deyop

The T-Spline body is a network of faces and modifying one will have an effect on adjoining faces.  However there is a limit to the extent.  If you can place two faces between the area you want to modify and the area you want the shape maintained you can isolate local modification.  Faces can be added by inserting, subdividing or in the creation of the original primitive form.  Here is a video that I hope will explain.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
Jon.Dean
in reply to: deyop

Excellent video Paul. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report