Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner here: need help reshaping an object.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1062 Views, 8 Replies

Beginner here: need help reshaping an object.

bas_tera_0-1592037014493.png

Hi guys, I need help reshaping an object to be larger. 
I'm trying to make a button box for a steering wheel I'm making and so far process has been decent.
Slow, but what do you expect from someone who started modelling yesterday.. 

Anyway I ran into a problem; the box I modelled is too small for the USB board I need to put inside it.
So I would like to reshape the bottom wall of the model, out to where the blue line is (not quite that far but you get the idea.) 
How can I do that? I can't seem to find anything unfortunately. 

I remember seeing someone reshaping an object by pulling on nodes on the outline of the object, but those nodes aren't there for me.. 

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, cause right now I'm dead-stuck.. 

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you share your model? (export as .f3d and attach to next post)

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Absolutely, this should be it 🙂 

@TrippyLighting 

Message 4 of 9
g-andresen

Hi,

1. create a sketch and project (p) the body into it > uncheck „create link“

2. modify this sketch with new contour elements

3. extrude the new profiles

günther

maybe share your design for special hints

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi @g-andresen ! 
Thanks I'll try that (it'll take some messing about because I have to learn EVERYTHING still..)
The post above this one has the F3D file attached to it 

Message 6 of 9
TrippyLighting

The timeline in your design and the sketch indicate already that you are trying to advance in a project before having larned some basics. While you might complete this project successfully, skipping over these basics, however, will hurt you not only in his project but in every project.

Obviously, at least the base shape of this object is symmetric, so there is really no need to sketch more than one half of it. And then don't mirror the sketch halve, create geometry, and mirror that.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 6.38.56 AM.png

Now, looking at the canvas I am 100% convinced that the original object was not created using splines and most definitely not one continuous spline. Even if it was, you spline hs too many control points the areas of high curvature. Work with the tangent handles to manage that better.

I'd try to compose the base shape out of lines and arcs an only use splines where necessary.

You should by any means fix the red and yellow icons in your timeline. Never ignore a warning. Fix the root caouse right away!

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thanks @TrippyLighting 
Like I said I'm a definite beginner, and trying to learn as I go, so I appreciate all the feedback! 
I'll dive back in and try to clean up some of that 🙂 

In regards to the reshaping, do you have any additional tips on that? 

Message 8 of 9
TrippyLighting

You can of curse go back o your initial sketches and modify those as the geometry in your design is built of these sketches. However, now that I've looked a little further into your design my suggestions that you start completely from scratch. 

That is after you have completed one of the tutorial courses in the learn & Support section.

Moving bodies away from their sketches is a bad idea. You should be working with components. That requires that you understand the difference between components and bodies. And then there is Fusion 360 R.U.L.E #1.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
danioan.nestor

Hello,

There is a tool to pull a side of an object and that is the 'Pull Tool'.

help6.png

You then select that tool and click on on the side you want to extend it to the desired length.

help7.png

However, the model sometimes changes when you use the pull tool. If that happens then you want to right click on the model and edit sketch (if you used sketching) and use the fix/unfix tool and click on the sides next to the one you want to pull. 

Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report