Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid model, unable to delete face (hole)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
scottS4EDN
721 Views, 4 Replies

Solid model, unable to delete face (hole)

I have a step file of an iPhone.  I'm learning how to make changes to solid models.  I'm stuck making an edit I can't get F360 to do.  I'm deleting some features from the original solid model.  In particular some holes in the bottom of this phone.  I was able to delete the other holes by using the move tool and moving them into space (Delete would not work for me, gave an error).  I'm left with a couple of holes that would not delete using any method I've tried.  The difference I see is that they intersect some faces near the corner of the phone, whereas the ones that worked were not in the corner faces at all.  Can someone explain how I can delete these holes without hosing the existing geometry?

See screenshot, and f360 source file

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leowarren34
in reply to: scottS4EDN

Hi @scottS4EDN,

Have you tried using the patch tool under surfaces, Make patches of either side, join using a loft, and then boundary fill to create a body. You can then combine to turn into a single body.

patch.PNG

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 3 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: scottS4EDN

The "healing" functionality in Fusion 360 clearly has a problem with these holes.

What Fusion 360 would really need is a properly working un-trim function, something a number of us have asked for for a long time. 

I've tried the patch function but on these surfaces, the results were less than satisfying. I can do this in Fusion with splitting and mirroring surfaces, but in the end, it was quicker to do this in ZW3D using the un-trim function there.

The result is a solid body without any of the holes.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.38.13 AM.png

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
scottS4EDN
in reply to: TrippyLighting

ZW3d?

Message 5 of 5

Competitor product..

If you are a student - your can get Autodesk Inventor Professional for free and continue your project in the Autodesk line of CAD products.  Autodesk Inventor Professional has an untrim function.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report