Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic questions about icons in the design history

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2046 Views, 10 Replies

Basic questions about icons in the design history

Hi,

can someone point me to the reference documentation of fusion (I found a lot of videos but nothing like a real online help manual). In particular I'm looking for the meaning of the icons in the timeline and the component tree:

Autodesk Fusion 360 2018-12-27 10-50-36.png

I know that the colors represent my components. But:

1. Why do some of the purple lines span multiple operations (icon three and four) but others are separate (e.g. icons five and six)
  2. What do those three lines above icon four mean? I have seen those in the component tree as well. Do they have the same meaning?
  3. I have seen icons with yellow and red background (maybe even blue?) in the design history. What do they mean and where can I find more information about those?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd start by watching the Foundational Concepts Videos here on the Autodesk site. They cover some of this.
They can also be found in the Support & Learning section in the top menu bar of this forum under "Learn More".

For the most part, the icons of features in the timeline are the same as the menu entries in the tool bar that were used to create these features.

Yellow and red icons are warnings and errors. They should be fixed immediately.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Peter,

thanks for your reply. The icons of the operations themselves are clear to me (as you wrote, they are in the toolbar as well). 

Message 4 of 11
chrisplyler

The little lines show you what you have selected. Now, if you select an entire component in the Project Browser, it highlights blue, and so does it's icon in the time line. But suppose you select a face in your model...the items in the Project Browser AND in the time line get the little hash mark lines.

Example: You can see in the Project Browser that the face I've selected is part of Body1 within the Block 2 component, and down in the time line you can see that it is part of the second component I made and part of the second Extrude operation I performed.

icons.JPG

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I would like to point out, that the first question of the author still has not been answered yet:

"Why do some of the purple lines span multiple operations (icon three and four) but others are separate (e.g. icons five and six)?"

Does anybody have the explanation of this?

Message 6 of 11
Phil.E

Hi,

Yes there is an explanation. It depends on which component was active when those features were made.

The key is understanding Rule #1

Let me know if you have questions!

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you Phil for the answer, but if I understand it correctly, you are talking about different colors not about the gaps between features in timeline with the same color.

Autodesk Fusion 360 2018-12-27 10-50-36.png

Is there any reason of these gaps? It seems to me that it might be some useful feature.

Message 8 of 11
HughesTooling

When you create a component pattern the features in that component end up with spaces.

HughesTooling_2-1619004325477.png

Also might be 2 components with the same colour. Hard to tell without the design.

HughesTooling_1-1619004104180.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Phil.E

@Anonymous  please provide an example of what you are seeing in your own designs so we can have a discussion that matters more to your workflows and design style.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

It seems that the issue is caused really by pattern feature. I have done testing pattern with 2 to 10 features and results are very odd. I can see no logic behind it and even similar results (e.g. 7 and 9) are not the same (bars have different length).

Pattern_influencing_color_bar.png

So from my point of view this "feature" seems to be a bug. You can check it yourself in attached file. It is a pity, because it leads to false assumption that those gaps represent different components (coincidentally with same color coding) or that those features don't belong together in one component.

Or am I wrong and is there really intended some information behind it?

Message 11 of 11
Phil.E

Thanks for the model and analysis. I can reproduce the issue. It relates to creating or editing the pattern. We'll log a bug for it - yes it might lead to some minor confusion in very specific instances, so it's a bug. Good catch!

Here is a workaround for you:

FUS-81845FUS-81845

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report