Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Alignment in Sketch

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
4935 Views, 10 Replies

Basic Alignment in Sketch

I'm struggling with how to align basic shapes. The only way I can do it is to draw a set of construction lines and create a point at the center where they intersect and to do a move to the center line of each.

For example, consider to rectangles. I would like the smaller of the two rectangles to be moved to the center of the large rectangle. Short of drawing construction lines, how could I do this?

pic_1.png

In the same area, say I had a bunch of squares.

squares.png

How could I align these to the top of the highest square? Also, how could I horizontally distribute them so that their midpoints are an equal distance apart? My current approach would be to make construction lines and to do the math of exactly where they should be. The other option would be to do the sketch in Visio and import it.

I'm new, but this desire has come up repeatedly in my first several projects. Thank you very much for any help.

Tim

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

First you need to dimesion the witdh and ight of each square.

Determine where you wnt your ighest suare locate in reference to the origin and dimension it to the origin.

Then define a horizotal dimensions between each square.

Tehen consider one square the reference square, in this case as you said use the highest and apply a colinear constraint from the top line of each of the other squares to teh top line of your highest square.

If successful wath the basic starter videos in the "Learn" section.

If not successful make absolutely sure to watch the videos in the "Learn" section, specifically the one about sketching.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I really appreciate your response, but I'm confused. First, I shouldn't have asked so many questions in one post and I understand your referencing the basic learning links.

However, why do I need to dimension the width and height of each square? They already have dimensions, but do they need to have dimension marks to be able to apply the colinear property.

Also, how does one center two sketch shapes (cf. the first part of the question).

Message 4 of 11
TrippyLighting

It does not look like your rectangles are dimensioned.

When in skech mode here is how that looks on my screen:

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 10.07.25 PM.png

If you don't dimension the sketches, the'll oose their shapes when you apply the colinear constraint.

And, yes yoy can center with construction lines and application f constraints.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Got it -- so you have to have construction lines (or precise measurements) to make two concentric rectangles?
Message 6 of 11
TrippyLighting

If you want to make them concetric, that means they share the same center. In that case you might be better off using the center-rectangle tool and start them all at the same enter.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks. Just to confirm. If I have two existing shapes, the only way to make them concentric is to use construction lines, correct?
Message 8 of 11
TrippyLighting

I am not sure construction lines are the only way to make concentric retangles, but given that there is a center rectangle command in the sketch menu it is likely tobe by far the fastest. Here's a screencast.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

ok -- I'm just spoiled -- there are a lot of times when I want to align arbitrary shapes and it looks like this is one area where Fusion 360 doesn't have many options.

Now that I know, I'll just work around them by setting construction lines.

Thank you very much for your help.

tim

Message 10 of 11
TrippyLighting

Construction lines are it at the moment.

Some more vectore graphics functions would really be a nice thing in Fusion, such as the ability to group objects e.g group all lines in a rectangle to retain it;s shape without having to dimension it and a number of other things.

You can look through the idea station and see which of the suggestions speak to you and throw your vove in the hat.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I think the solution is to use visio for drawing and import into fusion as
a sketch. At least for now.

tim

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Tim Booher
www.theboohers.org | tim@theboohers.org
703.649.4264 (home)
(703) 822-7863 (mobile)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report