Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance in editing a .iges file

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
cnctv
715 Views, 20 Replies

Assistance in editing a .iges file

I am trying to edit a file that was given to me by a friend for an Airsoft stock. The file when imported into Fusion has like 700 surface bodies. I have tried several things but no love. There is a section I need to delete and add a spring loaded lock to. So I have stitched up the file and then tried to delete the faces but that created a surface body again. I have done my editing then tried to stitch it and I get free edges. What I have done so far is delete the "lever" and all the associated features then extruded (both in Solid and Surface) and edited the area I have extruded. The file looks right but when I 3D print it area that show hollow print filled. So can anybody show or explain to me how I need to go about editing this I really would appreciate it. Yes I am aware this is probably over my skill set with Fusion, though I have watched at least 3 series of tutorials on Youtube and I am getting better and this. Thanks again I am going to upload the original file and the last one I edited to at least show what I am trying to accomplish.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
laughingcreek
in reply to: cnctv

not at all clear what you're trying to do.  can you sketch on a screen shot, or even a piece of paper, what you're trying to do?  you definitely want to start by stitching the body together, and from there you DON"T want to be deleting faces. 

in the attached I isolated a piece out.  maybe this will help you get started.  

Message 3 of 21
Ajay_Kumar_Reddy

Hi @cnctv,

BHOOM_0-1724398392625.png

For a proper 3D print, it should be solid as we see it only in the middle. You have to use thicken to make it solid.
Please add 3D print images to help us understand better.

Message 4 of 21
laughingcreek

@cnctv - see if this doesn't get you closer.

laughingcreek_0-1724427965018.png

Message 5 of 21
TrippyLighting

It's interesting how many folks are doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same period of time for "a friend".

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-design-validate-document/working-on-airsoft-stock-and-i-am-con...

EESignature

Message 6 of 21

That is exactly what I needed. Is there a video or read that would explain how you did this. I tried just about everything I knew, Which I understand is not much in the picture but I want to learn. Thank You very much.

Message 7 of 21

Not sure what your point is? I asked for help and you really did not help ,e I just went looking for someone that wanted to help not a big deal...

Message 8 of 21

Fair point 🙂

The guy in the other thread encountered the same problems and I posted several screencasts to help him along.

In essence, right after import, change into the surface tab and click on the stitch icon.

Then window-select from right to left and you should see only green edges, indicating that everything is stitched properly into a solid. Accept with OK.

If that succeeds, then turn on the timeline, so all your edits are recorded. If you encounter any problems, repost the model, so we can evaluate the timeline and your workflow.

EESignature

Message 9 of 21

@templehillpr wrote:...Is there a video or read that would explain how you did this....

there's not going to be a single source that can explain everything you need to know to work with imported files like this.  that just comes with experience.  different models will often require vastly different approaches.  honestly, IMO, working with any kind of imported geometry isn't a very good place to start learning. 

after reading this post, and the other thread, I think one of the places you got hung up on is understanding the effect of deleting a face while in the surface tab vs deleting a face while in the solid tab. 

If you want to study what I've done, I'd be happy to answer questions.  looking at the timeline, you'll see there's basically 5 sections.  

laughingcreek_0-1724435578935.png

Message 10 of 21
templehillpr

Ok I looked at what you did and yes I have a few questions. So I get you stitched all the surface bodies to one soild body. I see you split the bodies. So can I assume you somehow split the "lever" part of the body from the rest? And If that is the case I played with that and I dont see how to get the cut tool to get rid of the "lever" part of the body. Anyway to show a video of how you did this?

Message 11 of 21
Message 12 of 21

Know I appreciate any and all help and yes I am aware this is probably over my head but I have watched 2 mabye 3 different multi video how toos and I have lesarned alot in the last couple months. Can you tell me why anyone would model in the surfaces rather than the solid. I guess it make no sense tp me whay sepnd all the time creating this model that you cannot 3d print or edit very well. 

Message 13 of 21

@templehillpr , they did not model in surfaces, this IGES file says it came from Solidworks, but they exported their design as an IGES for whatever reason.  I assume you downloaded this from someone/somewhere (GrabCAD?).  If you can find it, the better option would be to get a step file, STEP can handle the part bodies exported from Solidworks and come into Fusion as solid bodies.

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist
Senior Principal Experience Designer
Message 14 of 21

it probably was modeled as a solid.  it's coming in as surfaces because it was exported as an igs file.  igs is an old format and hasn't been updated in decades.  I don't think very many people even use it anymore.  a .step would have been better, or even better the original native format.

Message 15 of 21

This was sent to me via a friend I am not sure where he got it but that makes sense. Thanks

Message 16 of 21

Thank You!

Message 17 of 21

@laughingcreek wrote:

... it's coming in as surfaces because it was exported as an igs file...

Well, not exactly. IGES can perfectly fine be exported as solids. The person creating the export was likely not aware of the export options for IGES  in SolidWorks:

IGES Export Options in SW 2023.png

The default appears to be Trimmed Surface (type 144). If that is changed to Manifold Solid (type 186) it exports fine as a solid. I tested that with the model in this thread.

EESignature

Message 18 of 21

So the only way this works is if you create a solid and then split it. I assume this can be edited in surface? Id there a way to fine all the free edges and fix if you dd edit in surface?

Message 19 of 21

That helps thank you!

Message 20 of 21

Do you still need help with this?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report