Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Fillets to Intersecting Edges

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tedbradley314
471 Views, 4 Replies

Applying Fillets to Intersecting Edges

Hi, I'm creating a sandcast part and therefore need fillets. I'd like my fillets to be 3.175mm.

I'd like to apply fillets to the highlighted edges shown below but I receive an error. File attached. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.16.13 PM.png

At a high level I'm aware that it's likely caused by the fact that the 5 edges don't meet at a single point, even though it looks like they do when zoomed out.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-10.16.54-PM.jpg

I created this approximation using the 0.995" dimension in the "Foundation" sketch. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.17.10 PM.png

What's a better way to construct this part such that I can apply fillets? 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: tedbradley314

See if this is what you are after.

lftdfllt.PNG

You have mirrored the Loft, and I will hedge the bet that loft faces don't play well with fillet.

Might help....

Message 3 of 5
tedbradley314
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hi Dave, thanks very much for sending this. I looked at the file you sent and the fillets look great just like in the screenshot. However, after spending a bunch of time trying to reproduce your solution, I found that I could reproduce the original fillet problem with your revolve solution (see screenshot 1 below). And I was able to reproduce your fillet solution using the loft (see screenshot 2 below).

The key that made the whole thing work, interestingly, is not loft vs revolve but rather the order the fillets were applied. When you apply the fillet first to the circular edge (1) and then the semi-vertical edges (2) it works just fine. Reverse that and it doesn't work. 

FILLET PROBLEM WITH REVOLVE CONSTRUCTION: 

fillet-not-work.jpg

FILLET SOLUTION WITH LOFT CONSTRUCTION:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 9.57.31 AM.png

Message 4 of 5

Here is another approach:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.25.49 PM.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Yes! That made the fillet cleaner. Learnings:

- order definitely matters in applying fillets

- adding even a small fillet (0.25) between two edges that intersect at sharp angles will produce a smoother/rounder fillet when you apply fillet to those edges

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report