Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animating with version 2.0.17710

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
SimonPlatten
367 Views, 10 Replies

Animating with version 2.0.17710

I've been looking on YouTube for videos to animate gears I've modelled, however all the videos are out of date and I couldn't see one I could follow with the version of Fusion360 I have, can anyone help?

I am trying to create an AS-BUILT JOINT for an axle and a gear.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jhackney1972
in reply to: SimonPlatten

You will be a lot better of using Joints instead of As Built Joints.  Add a Revolve joint to each of your gears.  Next drag the gears, using your mouse, until the teeth line up.  Go to the Assemble Menu and select Motion Link.  When you get the warning to Capture Position be sure you capture it.  In the Motion Link dialog select the two previous Revolve Joints, enter the ratio of the two gears check if the rotation is correct and you are done.  

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
SimonPlatten
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you, although I'm not having much luck in getting it to animate the way I want, I also have a prop on the top of the axle which I want to rotate along with the axle.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 16.10.10.png

Message 4 of 11
jhackney1972

Attach you model to your post.  Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save the file to your hard drive.  Attach it to a reply post.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
SimonPlatten

Please see attached exported project. Sorry its a rather large file.

Message 6 of 11
jhackney1972

Where to begin.  First of all you have a number of errors in your timeline, some are so serious they are RED.  Solve your timeline errors as they occur, it is simpler that way.  Second, you cannot add Joint to Bodies, you can only add Joints to Components.   I had to convert a lot of bodies into components which is not the proper method of creating them.  You should create a Component, then create sketches and bodies while the component is ACTIVE.  This places all the sketches and bodies under the component they belong to.  Third, every assembly has to have at least one component GROUNDED.  I grounded a few more because I wanted to skip creating a few joints.  There are a number of areas you could improve your modeling practices.

I created a Motion Link between the ring gear and the pinion by eye!  I did not take the time to count the ring gear teeth, you can do that and adjust the ratio of the Motion Link.  To Drive the assembly, right click on the Joint labeled Drive Me and choose Animate Joint Relationships from the context menu.

Model is attached.

Animate Joints.jpg

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
SimonPlatten

Thank you, I will take a look now.

Message 8 of 11
SimonPlatten

In terms of addressing all the errors in the project, what course of action do I need to take?  I'm not sure why there are errors in that I've simply been using Fusion 360 to create the sketches and bodies, there were no warnings or errors displayed to me whilst I was doing this ?

I can see that when the vertical axle turns the large gear also turns which is exactly what I was trying to achieve, I would also like the small gear to turn as a result of the large gear turning, is this easy enough?

There are 200 teeth in the large gear and 24 in the smaller gear.

Message 9 of 11
jhackney1972

In the model I returned the small gear is turning also, although the ratio was wrong as I did not know the number of teeth on the large gear.

As far as fixing you model, create your component first, activate it, then create your sketches and bodies under it.  Repeat for the next component.  If you need to add to the component reactivate it to add additional sketches and features or edit existing ones.

I suggest you create a simply component to practice this procedure to understand how it works, the built your model.  Stop and solve any errors that show up in you timeline.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
SimonPlatten

Thank you I will give it a go, I've opened the file and in the timeline jumped back to the first yellow icon, looking at the warnings:

Warning: Sweep1
<b>1 Reference Failures</b><br/>The model is using cached geometry to solve. Please reselect reference geometry for failed features in the timeline.
<b>1 Reference Failures</b><br/>The profile reference is lost, try editing this the feature to reselect the lost profile.

How do I fix these ? 

Message 11 of 11
jhackney1972

The related sketch (profile) has been erased or removed.  You will have to move your timeline ahead of the error, recreate the missing profile, move the timeline back to the error, edit and select the new profile.  This is rather hard to do this large in your model, that is why you need to solve the as they occur.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report