Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled centre lines are dimensioned to the extension of the centre line instead of edge of part?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
grahmart
302 Views, 6 Replies

Angled centre lines are dimensioned to the extension of the centre line instead of edge of part?

Trying to dimension a drawing for a part with an angled hole.  The dimensioning is using distance from the edge of the part to the end of the centre line extension past the part instead of the other edge of the part.  This creates dimensions that are variably incorrect depending on length of the extension.  Is there a way to dimension this correct or is it a bug?

Edit work around: since this particular hole is split & different sizes on top and bottom, i can create a centre line for only the bottom portion and then adjust the top extension of the centre line to where it meets the top edge of the part.  Since centre line extension always extend past their feature this would not work for a single diameter, angled hole.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-KyleWilliams-
in reply to: grahmart

Hey @grahmart

Glad you've found a work around for your case.

If you're able to share your dataset I can take a look for some solutions. kyle.williams AT autodesk DOT com
What I would suggest from the screenshots would be to create an auxiliary view perpendicular to the hole. Dimensioning that way will achieve the correct dimensions.

Thanks

Kyle Williams
Senior Customer Advocacy Manager - Design and Documentation
Ontario, Canada

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 7
grahmart
in reply to: -KyleWilliams-
Message 4 of 7
ClintBrown3D

Hi @grahmart 

Te best way to achieve this going forward is to use a section view, that way you can snap to the middle of the hole (no need to worry about the centerline length).

When placing a dimension, right-clicking brings up the "Snaps" menu, as shown below.

I hope that this helps.

10FPS Section.gif

Message 5 of 7
grahmart
in reply to: ClintBrown3D

Cluttering my drawing with views that don't show any additional details and only help this software dimension properly isn't really a solution.  Changing the length of extension lines should not change the dimensions itself.  That is bad design that may cause unnoticed errors when working with smaller angles

Message 6 of 7
ClintBrown3D

OK.... How about just dimensioning from the edge to the center of the hole on the top view?

New Dim.gif

Message 7 of 7
grahmart

That would work however since the software will also not centre mark this hole in the top view this is too ambiguous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report