Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an angle to a face

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jeff.a.longo
444 Views, 6 Replies

Adding an angle to a face

I am working on recreating history for an existing model imported as a STEP file. I have the following hole in the model.

jeffalongo_0-1647278457697.png

I would like to add a taper to the edge (say, 30 degrees) to achieve the following result (the result adds an 0.5mm filet after the taper, which I will want to add after).

jeffalongo_1-1647278571633.png

How can I achieve this? I feel as if the chamfer tool would be correct to use here, but I have not been able to successfully get it to do anything, it seems to always fail. I do not want to use a tapered extrusion for this. I've attached the project below. Thank you.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: jeff.a.longo

The Screencast will explain my process for getting the taper you desire.  I did not check the surface I offset the construction plane from as far as it being square to the hole I am applying the taper to but if it is not square, you can establish another surface to come off of.  It looked good to me.  Model attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
jeff.a.longo
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hello, thanks for your response. I am trying to avoid using a tapered extrusion for the following reason: it causes the corners of my profile to be expanded. Here is the desired result:

jeffalongo_3-1647371392128.png

Versus the result using tapered extrusion of the profile. Note how the inside edges of the cutout are expanded.

jeffalongo_0-1647371318988.png

I've also attached an improved model that fixes some broken geometry to make it easier to work with.

Message 4 of 7

you would need to remove the fillets before doing the tapered extrusion, and add the fillets back in after to achieve that effect.

Message 5 of 7

I don't think that's the case, I do the tapered extrusion first, then the filets. Here is the result before doing the filet. The corners are still expanded. This is why I thought chamfer would be the right choice, but I can't seem to get that to work.

jeffalongo_0-1647378643381.png

Message 6 of 7

I meant the fillets that are, you know, tapering.

remove fillets

laughingcreek_1-1647380262715.png

do your extrude-

laughingcreek_3-1647380320690.png

add fillets back in-

laughingcreek_0-1647379943480.png

Message 7 of 7

Thanks, this is what I needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report