Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogbone Add-In

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
casey.rogers
6575 Views, 33 Replies

Dogbone Add-In

Here's a add-in I've been working on:
https://github.com/caseycrogers/Dogbone

The add-in is intended to automate the tedious process of creating dog-bone fillets for wood joinery. Here is a convenient how to video showing how to use the add-in made by Taylor Stein:

http://1drv.ms/1IsG7Vm

I'm happy to hear any feedback! Please let me know if you find any bugs in the add-in and/or if you have any recommendations for improving its functionality. Feel free to contact me via e-mail at casey.rogers@autodesk.com or by simply replying to this thread.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: casey.rogers

can you put this into a auto load cant for the life of me get it to work

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 34
casey.rogers
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hello Daniel,

When did you download it? I just a day or two fixed a bug with the add-in that was stopping it from launching properly on other machines. Try redownloading it if you may have grabbed it before the update. 

Otherwise, to install, you should be able to click on the green plus sign in the add-ins menu, navigate to dogbone.py and double click on it, and then click on the add-in in the add-in menu and select run. unfortunately, the button for the add-in shows up invisible, that's something I'm trying to fix.
Let me know if you have any more trouble.

Message 4 of 34
daniel_lyall

got it working just had to put it in my add-ins

thanks

Daniel Lyall

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 5 of 34
zhijie.li

Hi Casey,

I have tried the add-in dog-bone, it works fine to me.

For the issue: The add-in's custom icon is not displaying in the user interface. Please put the icon path to the 4th parameter( option parameter) of method 'addButtonDefinition' and try again.

line 129: buttonDogbone = cmdDefs.addButtonDefinition('dogboneBtn', 'Dogbone', 'Creates a dogbone at the corner of two lines/edges', 'Resources')

Best regards,

Zhijie

Message 6 of 34
casey.rogers
in reply to: zhijie.li

Thanks a lot! Pushing a new version to Github now with your described fix, the proper icon is now appearing.

Message 7 of 34
daniel_lyall

works good can you do box joint`s next please

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 8 of 34
casey.rogers

I'll start working on it this weekend and let you know how it goes!

Message 9 of 34
daniel_lyall

thanks @casey.rogers I was jokeing but if you can get fusion to do it that be cool also you have to do it a certin way you need squire sholder`s unless you can get it shaped so it will fit with no dog bones 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 10 of 34
casey.rogers

If it's something you'd find useful I'm happy to do it!

By squires shoulders, would it be something like this?

Message 11 of 34
daniel_lyall

it`s something all wood worker`s would find quite handy even your CEO, it`s proper name is finger joint`s. yes like image if you could work out how to do it so the material is flat when you cut it, so you don't have to make a special jig to hold it straight up and down other wise it`s faster to do with a hand router or saw bench there are programs out there to do it but they require special jigs to hold the material straight up and down. it take longer to set up the material that way than to cut it.

it does not have to have squire shoulders`s as long as it fit`s together like finger`s and can be cut flat with no dogbone that`s the main thing.

there are a lot of little woodwork addon`s you could do different types of joints, auto place dado`s, rabbit, drill patterns for cabints, hindge patterns.

these sort of thing would get more people useing fusion aswell 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 12 of 34
ekinsb

I'm familiar with box joints and the various other woodworking joints and agree that making these things easier in Fusion would be great for woodworkers.

I'm still not following your description of a box joint though.  What tool are you planning to cut it with?  If I'm understanding what you're describing, and I'm not sure I am, would the joint be a watertight fit.  If there are curves in the corners won't there be gaps in the joint?

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 13 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: ekinsb

yes water tight I have seen it where a person hand coded it. it`s hard to put in word give me 10 mins and I will try and draw it it was a rounded finger

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 14 of 34
ekinsb

A picture will help because I usually think of a finger joint as used to join two long pieces of wood together end-to-end and a box joint is used to join two pieces together to form a 90 degree corner.  Usually for some kind of box.  So I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 15 of 34
daniel_lyall

DSC02332.JPG

like this

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 16 of 34
daniel_lyall

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 17 of 34
ekinsb

I like the picture of the box where they're all various lengths.

How are these machined?  If the boards are lying flat as in your last picture, how is the found on the top of each finger machined?  It seems like it might be able to be done with dovetail jig and using a straight bit instead of a dovetail bit.

Brian Ekins
Mod the Machine blog
Message 18 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: ekinsb

those picks are only half of what needs done you use a end mill it`s inside where they need another cut still working out how to draw it so it will cut correctly  

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 19 of 34
daniel_lyall

1a.jpg2a.jpg3a.jpg

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 20 of 34
daniel_lyall

4a.jpg5a.jpg6a.jpg

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report