Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogbone Add-In

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
casey.rogers
6954 Views, 33 Replies

Dogbone Add-In

Here's a add-in I've been working on:
https://github.com/caseycrogers/Dogbone

The add-in is intended to automate the tedious process of creating dog-bone fillets for wood joinery. Here is a convenient how to video showing how to use the add-in made by Taylor Stein:

http://1drv.ms/1IsG7Vm

I'm happy to hear any feedback! Please let me know if you find any bugs in the add-in and/or if you have any recommendations for improving its functionality. Feel free to contact me via e-mail at casey.rogers@autodesk.com or by simply replying to this thread.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: daniel_lyall

@casey.rogers if you can do something like the images and have the tool paths quick it may be something to do, if you cant get it to be done fast it will be a bit of a wast of time, you can get this program to do it flat, http://www.tailmaker.net/box-joints.html and it`s cheap.

I tried to do tool path`s it`s not that easy and it`s quite slow

you would be better of doing stuff for flat pack, and cabinet's`s a bit like what`s in inventor woodworking, even if you did nesting or something like that if you wonted to or are allowed to do stuff like that.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 22 of 34
avprerunners
in reply to: casey.rogers

Would love a script or addon that can do something like this. Say select a edge, enter thickness and number of joints or spacing of joint and then it creates the joints along the selected edge. Hope this makes sense.

Brandon

Message 23 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: avprerunners

that`s a laser cut path, sawbench or router there are a couple of ways to do that with a cnc router dogbones in the corner to fit the tool in and other section, or stand it up on it`s end but you get tear out.

attached file is a good way to do it its rounded

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 24 of 34

Hi,

I just downloaded your plugin and it looks great!  However, I'm getting an error when I run it. 

Please let me know if see what I've done that's causing this.

Thanks!

Matt

Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: mpulliam6CT22

@mpulliam6CT22 I was having the same issue: you have to define a parameter named "cutter" and you'll get a better options window, but it then fails creating the dogBones with another error:

CopyQ.p11548.png

Sorry @casey.rogers, can you please help us here? I've not much experience with python to fix it myself....

Message 26 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Anonymous

if you look on the git page there is a conversation bit in there,someone posted how to fix it the. cutter is wrong it should be 0

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 27 of 34

Hate to dig up an old thread but I was looking for something to do these type of finger/box joints line the attached image for laser cutting. Sounded like there might be a solution here but I don't see if anyone ever created something to do it.

Capture.PNG

Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: GalacticOverlordFry

@GalacticOverlordFry I believe you should start another thread, which I will then follow in the hope something raises. This is about dogbones, something which intersects with finger joints when using routing/milling rather than laser cutting, but they are pretty different topics.

To your question, my solution so far is to use an online tool available at http://www.makercase.com/ to generate an SVG of the box, then import the SVG, extrude appropriately and use rigid joints to re-compose the structure: not the most straightforward process, but not the most tedius either.

Message 29 of 34

@GalacticOverlordFry

https://github.com/scottkildall/Fusion360FJBox

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 30 of 34
jasonXE8HG

Hi All,

I have installed the dogbone app and the icon displays but when I run it I have this message pop up.

IMG_3184.JPG

Any ideas?

I cannot find a similar fault on Github or the Fusion library to help myself 

Thanks

Jason

Message 31 of 34
daniel_lyall
in reply to: jasonXE8HG

@jasonXE8HG Have a look on the GIT page there is a comment part it has in it how to fix it, There is a bit of code that needs changed 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 32 of 34
bplabmac
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hi,

I have the same problem or similar

I installed this api in the right folder, when I check it in Fusion window, it appears

but when i want run it, it does not work

I have Mac 10.11.6

I have a same problem with Nester script

any advise ? thk very much by advance 

Nester.pngDogbone.png

Message 33 of 34
Anonymous

I love the tool. I've been making the dog bones using a a parameter specified in the User Parameter table. But when I change the parameter is doesn't propagate through the dog bones so I have to delete them all and add them again with the new dimension. Am I missing part of the Add-In or is this a feature that is yet to come?

Message 34 of 34
Anonymous

Hello I have been trying to add it and it shows in the add ins and shows its running but nothing shows up. I know a new menu should show up but nothing happens. Its it hidden somewhere. Do I need to turn something on. I got it yo work one time. I started to mess around with it and accidentally removed it from the toolbar. Ever since then I have removed and reinstalled it over and over. Even reinstalled autodesk. No luck! Please any advice would be great. Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report