Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 can't turn of Phong shading

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rbtHTJJU
1239 Views, 8 Replies

Fusion 360 can't turn of Phong shading

Please review the two attached screenshots, one from Blender and one from Fusion 360. These are both the same .obj model imported into each software. The view from Blender is the actual model as it will be 3D printed - i.e. sharp edges. 

I would like to be able to present the model to the client through the mobile 3D app which allows it to be rotated, measured etc. However I cant do that if the first thing the client sees is an inaccurate representation of the design. 

Visual_Style_options.png

Blender representation:                                                         Fusion 360 representation

Blender_actual_model_view.pngFusion360_phong_shading.png

As you can see in the attached, Visual Style options do not include "unshaded" (duh!). None of the shaded options give sharp edges and the wireframe modes are visually confusing and do not represent the model as designed. The leaves on the pineapple are to be sharp and I can't show it to the client (i.e. deliver it ) until I fix this or I will just have to abort 360 and go on with Blender, which, BTW has a much more Human Friendly Designer-oriented interface.

Autodesk heads up, it took me 2 weeks and 12 video tutorials to learn how to just MOVE an object FFS!! - hehe!

Cheers,

RT

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: rbtHTJJU

choose "flat shaded" for mesh:

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 8.27.40 AM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 9
rbtHTJJU
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

So, did that (and yes, I hit "apply" 😛 ) - looks the same to me. ?? It may be designated as "flat" but it's still what we have been calling, since I started in computer graphics in 1980, as "phong" or interpolated, shading.

looksthesametome.png

Also saved it and re-opened - nada. Next?

Message 4 of 9
jeff_strater

if you can share the model here, I can take a look at it.  This setting is specific to mesh models, and should turn on and off the "edge/vertex normal blending" that is done on mesh models.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 9
ryan.bales

There are a few things going on, some of it in Fusion and some in the mobile app.

So shaded with visible edges should give a sharp edge. The color of the object could be any number of things but there is no fixed color shading that overwrites objects or materials. 

I would enable edge display and then modify the materials - if you are using custom ones, they might not display properly on the mobile app.

Even after that the phone app may not show or display edges and it will not show some materials, custom or 3D. Its more to do with limitations in the app graphics than in Fusion.

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 6 of 9
rbtHTJJU

Jeff,

I don't mind sharing it with you but I would not post it publicly since it is proprietary to my client. I would be glad to email it you you with the understanding of confidence in terms of nondisclosure. 

Message 7 of 9
jeff_strater

certainly.  We definitely respect the privacy of models shared for debugging purposes.  The easiest way is to use the "share public link" method here:  How-to-share-a-Fusion-360-design and send the link to be via Direct Message on this forum.  If you'd rather, you can email it to me at jeff.strater@autodesk.com.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 9
rbtHTJJU

Ok thanks Jeff! I kinda did both - I sent the URL to the public link to your email. Hope that works!

Regards,

RT

Message 9 of 9
jeff_strater

follow-up for anyone else who is watching this thread:  It does appear as if the "flat/smooth shading" preference is not working as I expect it to.  It seems to only apply when the mesh is first inserted into the design.  Bug FUS-59620 has been created to track this issue.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report