Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Tips Not to Scale in Tool Library

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mattdlr89
629 Views, 8 Replies

Turning Tips Not to Scale in Tool Library

I'm new to the turning side of Fusion so I am just getting my head around how to define all the tools.

I was getting a bit confused as I couldn't get them to look like they do in real life and I think this is because the tips are not drawn to scale in relation to the holder.

I scaled the window until the squares where the right size and the tip as drawn on the screen is way off! 

Screenshot below shows that the tip pokes out the back of the holder it doesn't look anything like this on the lathe - so I was getting confused that I may have not defined it correctly. I then held up the tip to the screen and you can see the difference in the picture below. 

mattdlr89_0-1614159090751.png

IMG_2705.jpeg

@christopher.cooperVHK2N tagging you as you seem to be the tool library contact! 

Furthermore the lathe side of tooling seems a bit basic, are there plans to be able to select different tip edges. For example any grooving or part off tool can be easily defined from either side of the tip. Fusion doesn't allow me to select which side - typically all our programs are currently set up the edge that Fusion can't cope with. Screenshot below I'd like to select the corner where the red arrow is

mattdlr89_1-1614159715212.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@mattdlr89 Thanks for the feedback. We are aware of a bug related to the turning insert size and we will be looking to get to it very soon - Ref CAM-25330.

As for turning tool improvements they have certainly been discussed in depth and I will make sure the selection of alternative tip edges are considered.

Thanks

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 9

Great, I hope the alternative tip edges get added soon - if we were starting fresh it wouldn't really matter but we have lots of programs that use the opposite side so I'd like to continue with that set up. 

Is much work being done on the lathe aspect of the tool library? It looks a little light in places. Such as the cutting data tab could be have a lot more variables for ease of use, like depth of cut, limiting spindle speed etc. 

Message 4 of 9
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: mattdlr89

@mattdlr89 I've made tickets for adding max spindle speed and depth of cut to the turning tool cutting data.

Thanks,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 5 of 9
mattdlr89
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

@akash.kamoolkar 

Great. It also seems to me that when defining a boring bar in the tool library it should also have an option for the clearance diameter (Under radii in the toolpath box). 

Every boring bar will have a minimum diameter it can be used for so it would make sense to capture this information at a tool level and automatically populate the toolpath field. 

Message 6 of 9
Sq_14
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Hi, you might as well add a field to define the tool as 'over head mounted'. 

This should force the program to simply flip the X-axis in tool path generation within the operation. In other words, when there's a generated code like

G00 Z10.0 X10.0 

G01 Z5.0  X5,0

generated with standard tool setup

with the  'over head mounted' checkbox checked it generates this

G00 Z10.0 X-10.0 

G01 Z5.0  X-5,0

The tool path and all will be the same, except, after the path is generated and before its displayed, it runs through a  subroutine which multiplies the x-numbers by (-1). Whalla, perfect toolpath for negative x-values on a lathe with upside mounted tools. Not sure what happens to G2/G3 arc values, because they may or may not to be inverted or not, programing these arcs are not my strong suit, but i'm sure you guys in the know can 'easily' figured this out.

Message 7 of 9
Sq_14

addenum:

you also might consider looking into the definitions of lathe tools of the manufacturers.

For a boring bar they always give you an f-value. This shows how much the tipp of the insert is away from the center line of a tool. Fusion shows this value as cutting width, but in fact, cutting width is another animal.

Why not stick to already established naming convention and conventions, makes things a whole lotta easier to grasp. 

Message 8 of 9
mattdlr89
in reply to: Sq_14

@Sq_14 

Yeah I found the boring bar geometry definition a bit odd. Having to rework all the values from the manufacture to input it correctly. +1 to the above suggestion!

Also I've mentioned it before but you can buy solid boring bars (i.e. without tips) it would be nice if there was a better way to define without fusion forcing you to select a turning tip.

Message 9 of 9
Sq_14

I didn't check, but for such a case, creating a form tool just like in the milling section comes to my mind.

Don't know if that's working in turning, but that's what i would expect to handle such a situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report