Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Slot machining - best operation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Analias
1971 Views, 1 Reply

T-Slot machining - best operation

I'm using Fusion-360 to cut some t-slots in 5-ply 3/4" plywood.  I start by 2D profile cutting the 5/16" slot down to the bottom of the t-slot.  I did this to remove material for the shaft of the t-slot and to preclear the material since the t-slot tool cannot cut the slot itself - only the bottom.  I want to cut the bottom of the t-slot next, but not sure how to proceed.  I tried using a 2D slot operation, but I can't seem to make the operation start outside the stock and enter at the proper height to cut the slot.  

I know it's not the best tool for the job, but I'm using a Shars HSS 5/15"x21/32"x1754 (# 404-1701).  These are normally used for cutting mild steel or aluminum, not wood.  It was the only t-slot cutter I could find that match the dimensions I needed for the t-slot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

t-slot.png

-Freeman

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeff.walters
in reply to: Analias

You should use a 2D Contour the same as you did for the upper slot. Just pick the lower outside edge of the T-Slot.

T-Slot.png

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report