Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use stock from previous operation in new setup

Use stock from previous operation in new setup

In CAM, I should have the option of using the remaining stock from the previous operation as I create subsequent operations. This way I define the stock on my first operation, and I can see the real progression of my part as I create all my setups.

71 Comments
brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

macnewbie
Enthusiast

If I understand correctly, what you want is possible today although it involves a bit of manual work. Simulate your first operation, then right click in the simulation area, select stock --> save. Then you can use that as the setup stock for subsequent setups (select from solid in the stock tab of the setup dialogue) , or you can load it into the stock simulation environment (right click, select stock, then load) for visualization purposes. 

Hope this helps

EdDRM
Collaborator

I am trying to do what is described above.

I saved the stock to a folder on my desktop, it saved as an .stl (no other option)

From there I uploaded the file into my design but it will not allow me to select it as stock for stock from solid.

Could I get a better discription of the process?

someonesomewhere111
Contributor

Has this been gaining progression at all?  I had HSMWorks before migrating over to fusion360 and the option to use stock from previous setup was an option there.  Right now I'm forced to build a model of the previous op to use as stock for a 2nd op.  Cumbersome and takes more time than I, and I'm sure others, like.  

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I have marked this as future consideration, not because we don't agree, because this is on our radar as a big ticket item to do.

Solving this correctly is not as simple as it may seem.

As such, we have prioritized  adding some additional functionally like 4 axis and completing turning workflows over this.

fifthelementmachine
Community Visitor

I am in the same boat, 3 days in to fusion, previously used other cam software.  on to the second op, where previously i would have used a new wcs, the stock definition never changed.  So what i am seeing now, is that the "intelligence" that was gained by not having to "chain" geometry in fusion on op 1, i will lose that on op 2.  Or it is just going to cut air, which on small parts is ok i guess.

saving as an stl, at least for verification  purposes,,,, i have not been able to figure this out yet.

EdDRM
Collaborator

I ended up making models for each operation.

I make the master part then copy and paste it into a new component then extrude out the geometry that will not be removed on the first op. and that is the stock for the second and the model for the first, then remove the geometry from the stock for the second op. moldel to make the 3rd op. stock and so on and so on putting them all in new components.

Kinda frustrating but it works.

rathomas.mobile
Enthusiast

If you took all the requested features and mapped them to lost time/profit, this one would be huge!  This is core CAM functionality, NOT a feature.

I know there are "work" arounds, as mentioned in this post, but this is a core function that a CAM application should automate.  I know its not too much work to manually create stock models for 2-setups, but what about 3 or 4?  Many shops are working with 3-axis mills, and do not have access to 3+2 or 5-axis equipment.  Most shops require multiple setups to mill each part.  Even the ones that do have 3+2 and 5-axis capability still need to run multi-setup jobs on their 3-axis mills.  Most of these shops also use MasterCam... but if you are concerned with increasing market share in the CAM industry than this is not "Future Consideration"  It is critical functionality.       

--

I am sure that the tool path calculations are much more precise, (and simpler to calculate) when the stock does not contain unneeded detail.  Instead of taking the stock from an STL of the previous operation's preview, the software should be taking a theoretical model that is based on the selected cutting parameters and strategy.  All that is needed is a generalized state of the machined stock to be propagated between operations, and not an exact model based on the output of the previous simulation results.  

Maybe this feature can be reconsidered?  It is a very important function for the users that are building even simple parts and need the workflow in the CAM module to be usable.  

Thanks,

Ryan Thomas

Thomas Dynamics, LLC

marlinconcepts
Observer

This makes it real hard to not want to go back to Sprutcam after I design the part. It gets very difficult to try to learn a new program and then be slapped in the face with what used to be easy now becomes a difficult process. I know I cant be the only one that does multiple steps in machining parts requiring the part to be moved in the vise before the next operation. 

jimskeet2002
Advocate

I upvoted this too.

It is really very important function of Cam and just needs a lot of extra time to work around it at the moment.

I think that in Turning it is already there as an option when setting up the stock (Continue machining from previous setup)

jmwallach51
Enthusiast

I am relatively new to  Fusion and CNC programming though I have designed machined parts my entire career.  Even as a novice, the advantages of "Use stock from previous operation in new setup" became painfully obvious almost immediately.  This capability seems like a requirement not a desired enhancement.  Furthermore, there are plenty of opportunities to enhance automated functionality (speeds, feeds, tools, material, etc.) throughout Fusion 360.   

Fusion is a great tool, I love it and it looks like where the industry is headed but for this to become a legitimate choice for production work, a lot more practical functionality is needed.  The capability to use stock from previous operation in new setup would be a big help.

mxwrench
Explorer

I too am a very new user trying to convert my process over from another CAM package, and am finding it quite odd that there is no previous operation stock feature when creating additional setup processes/fixture moves.  I did find a decent work around on youtube using the simulation 'save stock as STL file, then Inserting as mesh, then convert to BREP, and finally assigning stock from converted mesh solid'.  The only real gripe I have about this process (aside from it being lengthy), is if you need to select an edge from this solid (ie. selecting edges for chamfers), it is full of all the STL file facets that confuse the auto selector terribly.  Oh, that and it is an 20% chance that it crashes the program when selecting the imported/converted solid as your stock!  However, with patience, I have gotten it to work.

Other than this pesky issue, I am really starting to dig the software!  I'm going to stick with it for a while and see where things end up.

Oh yeah, and please, please, a Normal To view that can be button assigned inside 3Dconnexions space mouse pro!!!  I am currently using a macro to trip the 'Look At' button, but it's just not the same!

Thanks!

billwightman
Explorer

I also cannot see how to use previously saved stock in a new setup.  Save out as .stl - then what?

Really seems like this should be core functionality to me.  Any piece requiring more than 1 setup leaves me problems trying to generate efficient tool paths in the following setups - esp if the workpiece is angled or rotated.

shaneU6DLB
Contributor

Agree with all the above. Sprutcam had it sorted by seeing stock leftover without having to go to simulation every time.

Fusion 360 is awesome software but not having this feature is frustrating as hell!! Probably the only issue i have with fusion. 

Hope you guys can get his sorted quick. 

matthewsclark
Enthusiast

This is basic CAM functionality and a huge hole in Fusion right now, the only way optimizing multiple operations, work holding, etc. makes sense is to base it on the ACTUAL stock left after each operation. Please move this to the top of your list, it would save so much time and pain in the a@#. Thanks for rocking the continued development!

rebe2T4ZG
Explorer

This would be a marvelous addition to Fusion 360 cam.  Would love to see it move from future consideration up your action ladder.  Now all I can get to work is creating a new model with the stock left from the previous operation to use as stock for the next.  Computers are smarter than that and this missing feature is a productivity drain.   

jmwallach51
Enthusiast
Yes this is absolutely a" must have." Seems like a huge oversight for the
development team as this is essential.

How do we get the development team to put this on the top of their list for
future enhancements?
jlewis
Explorer

One more vote here. Please add this ASAP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with all previous comments.  This needs to be a priority.

MaxB4D5Y
Participant

This needs to happen. that issue has been a major sticking point with us we will have to move on from fusion if this does not get implemented in the next few months

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report