Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPT pipe threads

NPT pipe threads

Please add NPT pipe threads to the thread options in the thread dialog box. Tnx!

293 Comments
yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

What really sucks is that ISO has adopted BSP whitworth pipe threads for some crazy reason. So even for metric pipe the ISO solution is inch pipe threads. Not sure how that works as there are definitely some that don't line up very well. Like if you have a 10mm tube what do you use a 3/8 that's tecnically a little too small and restrictive? Or do you use a 1/2 BSP which is massive? In fact it seems like most the world has adopted inch size pipe standards which seems insane since pipe can be routed into tube or other ports that will be metric anywhere else in the world. 
But yeah as soon as they can figure out how to make tapered threads in F360 which apparently is harder than launching a space shuttle then they should easily be able to offer all the various options like BSP/ISO and JIS which I think is the same as ISO. 

SGallowayGMNSX
Participant

We have been patiently waiting for NPT (National Pipe Threads) to be included in Fusion 360. Its a shame that this commonly used thread is not yet available. What is taking so long? Why is this not a priority?

lucasproko
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Hey everyone - 

As @Fueler mentioned above, NPT threads are on our roadmap, and are currently in progress. We will be releasing an update very soon which will include a revamped Hole command which allows users to add threads at the same time they create holes. Once that is released, the next phase of the project will be to add tapered NPT threads to both the Hole command and the Thread command. 

After reading these comments and discussing with our development teams, we have decided that our first implementation of NPT threads will model only the taper of the thread and will add cosmetic threads to the tapered face. This implementation will allow CAM users to cut the threads using the taper, and will make documentation of the threads easier down the line. I know several of you have asked for fully modeled NPT threads for 3D printing purposes, but adding this functionality would take a more considerable development investment and we cannot commit to that at this time.

Once we finish the cosmetic NPT threads, we will weigh the modeled NPT threads project against other high priority items in our backlog. To help us compare the relative desire of the community, I would encourage someone who feels strongly about Modeled NPT threads to please create a new Idea Station post that outlines the request. Once you do, please post it back in this thread so others can find it easily and vote.

As always, thanks for your comments and your patience. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lucasproko The times I have 3D printed threads it is clear that the stl output from Fusion is wonky in general. Some of the threads on a single fastener are full thread and some are 80% thread and there are no settings. Before NPT threads are 3D printable the normal threads have to work. PM me if you need an example file. 3D printing threads is really good for prototyping. Not so useful for making actual parts.

Farzati.Scott
Advocate
🙌
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could use a 1/2" NPT Functionality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I could use a 1/2" NPT Functionality. It is an official national standard, after all.

SGallowayGMNSX
Participant
Me too, as well as more sizes in NPT.
WillL84
Collaborator

I mean, tapered threads (NPT, BSP, etc) have been in Inventor for YEARS (granted not modeled but there's add-ins to model threads) so I don't know why it's so hard to add this into Fusion seeing how it's the same company for crying out loud.

Timothy.Sessler
Participant

This really has become a joke (not that I'm laughing). This was brought up going on FOUR (4) YEARS AGO. Just seems like making pretty renderings of things people WANT to build is more important than providing the tools to people WHO ARE ACTUALLY BUILDING.

I need to be able to mill threads up to 6" NPT and the only way to do it in Fusion is to model a tapered hole and have it thread the face. It works...but is cumbersome and time consuming.

Farzati.Scott
Advocate
APPEARS THAT THERE ARE STILL NO NPT PIPE THREADS AVAILABLE EVEN WITH THE
MERGE OF CREATING A HOLE WITH THREAD OPTION??? WOW, WAS ACTUALLY THINKING
IT WOULD BE IN THE NEW ROLLOUT. DISAPPOINTING...
WillL84
Collaborator

What's disappointing is people still typing in all caps in 2018.....

Farzati.Scott
Advocate
Appears you get confused on when to use them and when not too...

I mean, tapered threads (NPT, BSP, etc) have been in Inventor for YEARS
(granted not modeled but there's add-ins to model threads) so I Don't know
why it's so hard to add this into Fusion seeing how it's the same company
for crying out loud.

Anyway my caps are locked for good reasons. But I'll try to be more aware
to the case sensitive people on the site. lol
WillL84
Collaborator

To not too and my caps are to emphasize the word YEARS. and the "Don't was just a slip from holding the shift button too long. Typing in all caps is murder on the eyes.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

As far as I can tell this idea has not been accepted in it's entirety and telling people to start a new thread is only going to diminish the appearance of interest and of course not look so bad for AD with a new thread with less votes and getting to say you completed an old thread with many votes without actually doing so. 
There are 4 years of votes in here with people asking for NPT thread capability. Many of them don't specify exactly what capability but many do and many specify modeled threads. Seems like a cop out to me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've basically given up hope on this happening anytime soon. Fortunately, the McMaster-Carr parts that you can insert have NPT threaded parts in all sizes. I just find the part with the thread I need, insert it, cut away at it so it's just a tube with threads inside, save it, and then insert it in whatever project needs that thread. It might even be slightly faster than using the thread tool because there are so many variables to choose. Only downside is that the lengths of your NPT threads are dependent on the McMaster-Carr parts.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

What doesn't make sense to me is that they couldn't quickly write a little script that basically takes a nominal male or female thread and allows you to do the same thing by referencing a point or cylindrical face, give you the ability to adjust depth off nominal and then apply either a cone or thread. I am not a programmer but it seems to take that same workflow that you do and automate it a little shouldn't be very hard. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a programmer, I'm surprised Fusion 360's code for making threads wasn't written for reusability. Seems like for every thread, they rewrite an entirely new thread script and manually hardcode almost every thread variable which is why it's taking so long to add NPT threads.

Fueler
Collaborator

if it is of any help to the fusion team or users this fellow has the g code script for tapered threads available.

Called pipethrd

http://www.cncsnw.com/index.html

look up products link

Originally for use in Centroid machines. It may work for others. Give him a call. 

lucasproko
Alumni

Hey all - I see a flurry of action on this thread and I just wanted to quickly give you all an update on current status. As I mentioned in the comment a few weeks ago, we were always planning on releasing NPT threads after the new Hole command, and that is still the case. We have begun work on NPT threads, and the reason it is not as simple as adding a new standard to the current code is because we want to have the correct taper angle modeled which is a new functionality for the command.

Between development work and testing, this project will still take some time to complete. I'm sorry that you have waited so long for this functionality, but we are working on it and will release it as soon as we are confident that it is ready to go. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report