Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Shortcuts to Toggle/Cycle through Variants

Keyboard Shortcuts to Toggle/Cycle through Variants

With each subsequent press of a shortcut key it would toggle/cycle through the variants of each one, eventually cycling through all options in a continuous loop in case you overshoot it. An example as follows:

Press #) Shortcut Key = Result

1) C = Centre Diameter Circle

2) C = 2 Point Circle

3) C = 3 Point Circle

4) C = 2 Tangent Circle

5) C = 3 Tangent Circle

6) C = Centre Diameter Circle

This would follow suit for all of the individual variants of the other keyboard shortcuts that have been added so far; and hopefully all future ones. I have attached the image for key mapping as provided in the September release for reference.

original.png

7 Comments
Daniel_Graham
Autodesk

While it does solve the problem in the same way you proposed, I did want to let you know that we are implementing a fully customizable set of commands that you access with the 's' key for our November release.  

This will allow you for example to have a sketch specific 'command toolbox' that will allow you to access any commands that are important to you with a single keyboard shortcut.

Here you can see that I have put all the circle commands in the Toolbox.  It will also allow for command search as shown.

Skey.png

Thanks

Daniel

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@Daniel_Graham, I will look out for this function in the November release however from my understanding this won't really solve it in the same way I am proposing. Rather this will create an at call custom menu that you are still required to click actively with your mouse or presumably continue cycling through with the "S" command? This does not (from an uninitiated standpoint) seem any more efficient to me than navigating through the toolbar, where I have chosen my more common commands to be displayed along the ribbon and can dive in when required for those more obscure ones when needed.

It would probably would have made more sense if the previous option I proposed was actually formatted in a table, perhaps that was causing some confusion. Long form it would look like; Press the "C" key and you get "Centre Diameter Circle", press it again (whilst the command is still active) and you get "2 Point Circle", press it a third time and you get to "3 Point Circle", on the 6th press of the "C" shortcut you would have toggled through all of the options and arrived back at "Centre Diameter Circle".

Either way this does not really address what I was proposing. Currently there are only a couple of keyboard shortcuts that have similar variants (being rectangle & circle) but this could be expanded upon as more keyboard shortcuts are brought online, or even experimentally with some right now for similar/grouped functions as follows:

"Press #") Shortcut Key = Result

1) T = Trim

2) T = Extend

3) T = Break

4) T = Trim

OR

1) F = Fillet

2) F = Chamfer

3) F = Fillet

OR

1) L = Line

2) L = Polyline

3) L = Line

We still do not have shortcuts for a number of common use items and I expect this list to grow over time or allow some customisation from the user i.e. I might prefer "A" to be for "Arcs" rather than "Appearance" in which case the three types of Arcs could be toggled through instead.

I hope this makes a bit mnore sense than my original post.

promm
Alumni

@lokiidesigns,

Thank you for posting your idea.  I want to add to what Daniel commented on earlier.  Our "S" key feature is phase two of our plan for adding short cuts to Fusion 360.  Phase one was to adding the default short cuts that are shown in the image you posted.  We will be adding default short cuts for each environment next, followed by adding the ability to customize them.  We are also exploring how we can use selection inputs to better automate which tool is used.  For example, you would have one circle command vs five and we would use selection inputs to determine with circle command is used.

Cheers,

Mike Prom 

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@promm, thank you for weighing in. If you are able to automate this through selection inputs then that is far better than what I am suggesting and am naturally very interested to see that brought in at some point. I also assumed that more shortcuts and the ability to customise them would be brought in at some point as it seemed like a natural progression. 

All in all this sounds like you have it under control so I will sit and patiently wait for these new features.

Cheers!

lokiidesigns
Advocate

So the new "S" command has arrived and I can see its merit, it functions like being able to add a second row to your ribbon (in a sense) in that you can add some more obscure options at your disposal without maxing out your ribbon. This is a very welcome addition and look forward to more refinement on this part from Fusion 360.

However short of adding every iteration of circle to this "S" command (and every other variant of sketch primitives among other things which would quickly make this unwieldy) I am still forced to go back to the ribbon to pull down this option when the ability to toggle through these in a live sense by repeatedly pressing the shortcut key could resolve this and add more functionality.

Another one I thought of is toggling between Appearances & Physical Material by pressing the Shortcut key "A". I always seem to be going between these in my designs repeatedly and this involves going back t the ribbon each time to swap between the two. Unless this can be merged into one Action Pane? Anyway it would look something like this:

1) A = Appearance

2) A = Physical Material

3) A = Appearance

haughec
Autodesk

Hi lokidesigns,

Thank you for the suggestion, but this is not something that we plan to implement in the near future.  One of the primary concerns is that many commands are ready to accept a value input as soon as they are invoked when an object is pre-selected.  For example, if you select an edge and press the F key, the Fillet command is invoked and the radius value input is active, awaiting you to key in a radius value.  If you were to press the F key again, it would be placed in the radius value input for the active Fillet command (of course "f" is not valid radius, but we accept alpha-numeric input for parameters & equations).

Archiving this request.

Thanks again,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report