Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freely move + rotate construction plane

freely move + rotate construction plane

the current construction plane creation options like offset and such are useful in many cases but when you really freely design and explore design ideas they seem to rather limit your creativity and are restrictive.

the problem is to use those the best and most efficient you already need to know what you will build.

when you are exploring a design idea that is not the case.

thus I propose to also offer the option to create a cplane then then allow the designer to freely move and rotate it along x y z.

see it this way: to create a cplane at an angle I need to first create a sketch with a line at an angle along which I can create a cplane. that is not only making the timeline thicker it is also more work and adding feature complexity like in the image below

Capture.PNG

In Alias or Blender you can create an object and then move it around rotate it

Here you see three objects all using a poly sketch which is feed to a extrusion feature to add thickness.

Each object is simply rotated and moved individually by hand.

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG 

In Fusion I would need to:

Go edit first sketch - so that cplane along path will update because that sketch is driving the cplane angle.

I find object based modeling and manipulation vastly out performing this stiff sketch cplane feature workflow which adds a lot of overhead and labor when it is not yet needed.

Because Fusion is parametric I hardly can assume that it would be difficult to add a cplane creation mode which just places the cplane in the global xyz 0 point and then lets

the user move and rotate it freely around. Obviously the move rotate command at this point has to also memorize and read that changed translation data to the user. Take

a look at the Blender screen show each object always shows the xyz location and rotation data.

Maybe the cplane should have a center point which is being used to move or rotate and can also be used as the xyz 0 reference point for the sketch then. Blender and Alias

work pretty great this way.

The offset command is already like a linear move along a specifica facing vector already.

12 Comments
hansvaneven
Advocate

I'd really want to see this, being able to move, rotate construction planes like an object. Right now you can offset a plane and then edit it later on, but I'd like to be able to move the plane or even rotate it like an object. 

I had a plane here on angle in a design, and as you can see it's not even possible to edit it, please add this option as it would make things much more easy to work with, thanks!

Tags (3)
cekuhnen
Mentor

I would love to be able to just be able to place sketch planes and not be forced to associate them to sketches etc only. The CPlan has a center point location and rotation data. So I do not see any issue why this could and should not be possible in Fusion with parametric abilities.

I use this a lot in Alias where you can freely move CPlanes. I like the ability to drive a CPlane in Fusion via a sketch but only if I have to.

Design different would mean to also give us tools that are just not so typical parametric modeler like 😉

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming also from the Blender world, I'm actually waiting for  minimization of the clicks, a hotkey if possible, to move any sketch object as a whole with not more than one click. In fact, it's the only feature I'm waiting for to trigger a complete migration from Blender to Fusion 360 (and even start paying for it). I totally agree that when you cannot move freely something with just one tip of your finger (Blender's way), creativity is loosing many degrees of freedom. 

For any kind of linear transformation, e.g. translating, rotating, scaling, hotkeys or one click access should be there for these basic common idioms that would give back some degrees of freedom for creativity. I really hope this will come soon. 

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Adding to the advanced modeling list

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I agree it would make thing much easier for designs with require datum plane at an angle and freely move it with same move feature you have with models.

Makes the design work fast and fusion more powerful tool.

Mo

djxyz
Enthusiast

creating a PLANE and being able to MOVE/ROTATE it is an a advanced modeling??? seams absolutely basic (essential) to me.... it should have been there from day one.....

vavalexus3NZYR
Participant

I come from Rhino and also fell frustrated about restriction to moving things free way, about not having osnaps. I wanted to migrate to Fusion, but after working in it few days I realize that it is not much different from SolidWorks. I want something as easy to move things around as Rhino and with parametric abilities as in SolidWorks.

hammerquill
Participant

Another basic function completely missing. I found this page by searching for how to do this, not expecting to find you couldn't.

Here's why I need this: I have a very old design drawing of shape with complex curves. On one view it has cross sections marked. The other view shows profiles at each of those sections. But because of the geometry involved, it makes more sense to have those cross sections strategically but irregularly placed, not at regular spacing. If I could construct a dozen offset planes, then view them from the side, import the drawing, and adjust the planes into position, it would save tons of time.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@hammerquill

Well the thing is Fusion is based on Inventor which is similar to ProE or SolidWorks.

I think AD with Fusion set a different approach to design with Fusion using the timeline/direct modeling modes

and the cloud enabled additional tools.

What you might look for is SolidThinking.

This one offers feature based modeling with the freeform sketch and surfacing workflow like in Rhino.

Fusion and Inventor seem to grow increasingly together thus I do not think that Fusion will step out this in the industry

commonly used parametric workflow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report