Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export clean topology

Export clean topology

Hi Fusion 360 Team!

It would be awesome to get a new topology algorithm for obj exports in Fusion 360 that gives us a clean topology (no triangles just quads)

Just like the ZRemesher in ZBrush!

If I want to use my exported mesh from Fusion 360 for animation in Maya the current meshes are far from ideal.

Creating UV Layouts to texture my Fusion 360 model in Maya would be much easier with a cleaner mesh.

Fusion 360 is perfect to model hard surface objects but making it´s exported meshes clean to use for 3D animation would be a game changer!

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lars.

7 Comments
micwanyoike
Explorer

You can export your model to STEP files, then use Moi3D to export it to obj. You'll get perfect quads and N-Gons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous and @micwanyoike 

First of all,I totally agree on the topology problems about exports.When I read your comment I couldn't agree more,having the same issues.

For what @micwanyoike wrote as a solution,I just downloaded moi3D and tried step to obj.It significantly improved my models topology however still not even close to what I need.This may due to my free form sculpted,organic shaped bug model,however your recommendation may be yet still very usefull on less organic shaped models.

In conclusion,I think fusion is not very suitable for free form modeling regarding to topology problems on exports(When texturing on an external software,a clean UV map is required)

beetle.png

micwanyoike
Explorer

Quick update! Moi 3D doesn't really create the perfect ngons and quads the last time I tested it. It misaligns the edges when moving from one surface to another. It's also quite expensive.

I tried ZBRush remesher but it doesn't really work well with hard surface models. The edges tend to get soft or distorted.

The only ideal solution is manual retopology which is unfortunately, a lot of work depending on how complex the model is.

However, if you don't need to export the model to a game engine, you can simply use Blender to assign materials to different parts of the mesh without retopologizing or uv unwrapping. In Blender 2.8, you can procedurally generate Ambient Occlusion, Worn Edges and Dirt. You can also use Decal machine, a commercial addon, to further add detail that would normally be hard to model.

Because of the export limitation with Fusion 360, I think it's better to invest in hard surface training if you need game ready models and want to produce clean hard surface models without going through the retopology phase.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@micwanyoike Thanks for update,it was very informative.

As you mentioned,we need to export the models into a game engine.
I have no knowledge  of Zbrush exports,have you ever experienced the similiar kind of topology errors while exporting from Zbrush?(considering the model was made in Zbrush)

Thanks

micwanyoike
Explorer

Zbrush can only handle Quads and Tris only. N-Gons are not allowed.

In your case, if you had sculpted your model in ZBrush, exporting it would not pose a problem at all. Organic models work really great in ZBrush. You can even get game-ready meshes straight out of ZBrush.

The only challenge I can see is the thin legs. You may have to increase the polycount in those areas to maintain the form.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@micwanyoike Thanks for the feedback,I will continue my work on Zbrsuh 🙂

Intuos5
Advisor

This would be so helpful for: exporting out objects for rendering, to remesh existing t-splines for better editability and concept creation by altering a converted solid/ surface model as t-spline, instead of having to recreate it face by face in the form environment. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report