Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation curves

Equation curves

Now that we have parametrics. Can we have 2D, and 3D equation driven curves like in Inventor?

I am thinking specifically of a helical gear for a small example. We could use a 2D equation curve to generate the involute, or cycloid curve of the gear tooth profile. Next we can us the 3D equation curve to generate a custom helical curve to sweep our custom 2D curve along it to cut the tooth profile. There are a great deal more applications for an equation curve of course. I just thought of the helical gear as something we could all get behind. Just think about how difficult it would be to model an accurate helical gear with an involute gear profile in Fusion as it stands. Now think of a cycloidal tooth profile. Possible...sure -difficult...YES! I haven't tried yet, but I'm guessing it would take 2 complex profiles, a loft, and a whole lot of trig. 

70 Comments
vaclav_prchlik
Autodesk

Please would you help me to better understand your need?

Are you looking for a general equation driven curves or are you actually seeking for a smart tools for various type of gears (Cylindrical, Bevel, Worm, etc.)?

Please take a look at a Gear Tool proposal video (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Bolted-Connection-for-Fusion/idc-p/48... It covers currently only Cylindrical gears, but I can imagine adding more type of gears if needed.

Involute.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Vasek

AdamEllison
Contributor

Hi Vasek,

The gear profile generator is neat, but only really solves a subset of the problem. The general solution would be to include an equation driven curve generator, at least in 2d, if not in 3d as well.

For example right now I'm trying to create a simple Archimedean spiral:

450px-Archimedean_spiral.svg.png

Unfortunately with Fusion360 this is currently impossible (at least in the sketch environment). However the equation is very simple: r=b+aϴ

Ideally the curve could be generated graphically, in a 'linearized' sketch environment, similar to how cams are developed:

Basic_Displacement_Diagram.JPG

The result of this sketch would then be wrapped around a base circle to develop the cam profile, spiral or gear tooth. This method is the simplest way to generate complex radial profiles in 2d using the existing sketch tool, and it doesn't require any mathematics.

I would definitely pay money for this feature!

Please please please look into this, it's an amazingly powerful concept I have used in another CAD package that will quickly allow Fusion 360 to do some serious mechanical engineering work!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also use this feature, but my application of this feature would be for airfoils.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ability to sketch an archimedian spiral is the reason I came to the boards today to look for a solution.  🙂

Would really appreciate this feature!

dirktheeng
Advocate

I also want this feature so I can create a cycloid to make the perfect clock.  Check out Christiaan Huygens.  He was brilliant.   A cycloid is the path a point on a circle traces when the circle is rolled across the surface.  It has very special properies that make a the period of oscillation of an object on that path absolutely independant of amplitute if no other forces act on it but gravity.  I need this shape to complete a new prototype of one of my newest clocks.

garritjacobson
Enthusiast
Sent from my iPhone
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

bobjoe0
Observer

I would also love this!!

aet-srhs
Explorer

Yes, this would be great for education. I am a teacher at a school that has used Inventor in our CAD course and we have recently switched to Fusion - but I didn't know that Fusion didn't have this functionality. We use it to link their learning in Math to 3D modeling. We can teach the students to create a 3D volume from a rotated 2D function. This introduces them to the concept of volumes through integration, and then we can print these out on our 3D printer. Kids love it and we get to make learning CAD and Math fun!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd love to have this feature too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to this. The ability to create an equation driven curve opens up huge possibilities when 4 and 5 axis operations are included in the CAM part of fusion.

Imagine what you could do with a Multi-Axis trace or contour operation and equation driven curves.

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

haughec
Autodesk

This isn't currently a priority, but something that we'll consider in the future.

Thanks,

Charles

rslipham
Observer

I feel the need for this feature has been fairly understated. With equation curves in 2D and 3D, fusion becomes my ideal CAD package in nearly every respect. This feature alone would make this sofware essential to small startup companies, and would give industry leaders a big reason to look into this software over others. Just think how valuable a software this would be to the R&D department in a major company if they could design and manufacture complex parts from a single software package.

tjstephens
Enthusiast

I've got an optical element that I'd like to model for manufacture. Our supplier has asked for an original CAD file (STEP isn't good enough because it's a point-wise description of the surface joined up with straight sections, rather than a continuous smooth curve). 

Reenforcements
Participant

This is a must have. This would allow for so many possibilities. (In particular I'd like custom "spring" paths that I could use custom profiles on, but the possibilities are numerous.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to throw in my support for this idea. From an engineering perspective (as opposed to industrial design), being able to have more control over the definition of my models is very important. With the current tools, anything beyond a combination of straight lines and circles can not be sufficiently detailed. 

I've got a couple of projects going on that I'd like to make in Fusion 360, but without this, I'll have to stick with SolidWorks or maybe make the jump to OnShape.

I love the broad set of features in Fusion, but missing things like this and the poor drawing functionality make this unacceptable as a stand-alone product in an engineering workflow. 

dwkrider
Explorer

I'm interested in this as well, and for the same reason: we need to generate a spiral shape.

StePhDen2020
Observer

I use equation driven curves with my PTC seat at work but working I miss that tool when I switch back to fusion 360 for my own projects.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that this isn't a priority... The lack of equation driven curves is one of the major things hindering Fusion 360 in its quest to be a true engineering CAD solution. Sure, hobbyists may not need equation driven curves very often, but as a mechanical engineer, they're absolutely required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report