Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emboss Feature

Emboss Feature

I think it would be great if Autodesk could make an Emboss feature somehow similar to the feature you have in Inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAIIM4_KRI

It would be great if we could use this feature with text, sketch and imported svg files.

Thanks,

CA

62 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try the workarounds but a genuine emboss tool for curved surfaces will be fantastic. One click, one SVG embedded on a surface of your choice. To all decorative artists this would be an absolute godsend. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I just tried installing the SurfaceText AddIn and can't seem to get it working. I am on a Mac. Not using the App Store Version of Fusion 360. I've added the SurfaceText folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/API/AddIns/SurfaceText/SurfaceText.py

It shows up in Fusion 360. But when I click run, the dialog disappears, and the suface text button is not available under the create menu.

It doesn't seem to actually be running as indicated by the little loading circles. I've attatched a picture to show what I mean. Any ideas on why I can't seem to get it running are appreciated.

Thanks!

James

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 1.28.49 AM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

From my experience and seeing from the post on the forum on the issue of projecting sketches onto curved faces, a feature similar to SolidWork's Wrap feature or Inventor's Emboss feature is much needed.

Thanks,

Tim

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree....  Incredibly that you can't wrap text onto a curved surface and then extrude it to create embossed lettering.  This is avaiable in every basic vector graphic tool from Paintshop to Photoshop and has been a feature in those tools for over 15 years now.

jlotuaco
Contributor

Please implement this feature.  This capability has been requested many times for over a year now.  The work around that I have seen is such a waste when I can create the same results in Solidworks in three steps without dealing with multiple bodies.  All that should be required is Create Sketch with text -> Choose face to project onto -> Specify dimension of emboss/deboss -> Done.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had to migrate to Rhino for lack of this feature. A **** shame as fusion is a joy to work with. 

maruska
Advocate

Been reviewing some of my old votes. This one is at the top of my list. I hate that I have to jump into other packages for this one feature.

Bump. +1!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why stop at text? Surely any shape or design should be able to wrap around non planar surfaces?

haughec
Autodesk

Adding an Emboss tool is definately on our radar, though it's not a current priority.  Marking this as Future Consideration.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.

Internal use FUS-24793

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so very much...this opens fusion up to so much decorative work
for artisans and jewellers.

Thank you for considering this feature as a future enhancement.

It will be even greater to use Fusion 360 with this Emboss Feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot for the life of me think of one single feature that could open up fusion to a whole new set of users. Without the ability to decorate surfaces regardless of how non-planar they are, or to create detailed decoration on a planar surface and then manipulate that surface into new shapes, every artisan and jeweller is *severely* hampered. I use Rhino but would switch to fusion in a heartbeat if a range of embossing options were open to me, as well as a flow to curve function.

promm
Alumni

I have a question for the people on this idea.  There are two solutions we can explore:

1. Emboss, where your wrap an image around a face

2. Wrap to face, this is different in that you could wrap a sketch around and object, such as a cylinder multiple times.

Which one would you like to see first?

Thank you,

Mike Prom

jlotuaco
Contributor
Definitely wrap sketch to a face to drive a feature, as that has far more used than simply wrapping an image around a face.
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Mike, can you be a little more descriptive as to the distinction?

I'm taking it that Emboss would be wrapping a bitmap or other image, to make something like bas-relief? And wrap to face would enable putting a sketched outline on the face, that could be used for extrude/ cut/ combine type operations? If that's the distinction, I would opt for wrap to face- but do I have it right? Or is it just about how the image is fitted to the face? 

Ron Russell

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wrap a sketch around a face. Undoubtedly. Far more useful to an artisan to
have something workable happening to a face; after all we are working with
3D printing rather than presenting mock ups. Even better would be the
ability to emboss a flat area and then wrap or flow the resultant face
around a predefined path. That would make life a lot easier - and be kinder
to computing resources - than working directly on irregular faces. Check
out Rhino's flow to curve and flow to surface. They really have this one
nailed.

I would say that "wrap a sketch around a face" is more like to be the most valid idea to me.

it would be helpful if it could work on double curvature surfaces.

maruska
Advocate

Agreed - I really need to be able to draw something in a 2D sketch and have it map to a ruled surface (cone, cylinder, etc). Compound surfaces would be a bonus - but I know from years of using Alias's "map to surface" tool - this is a tricky proposition.

- having a the ability to create a ruled surface and unwrap it to a 2D sketch would be greatly appreciated (like Rhino).

I'm working on a project currently that requires both work flows.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report