Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curving Text

Curving Text

There are many occasions where I want to bend text around an arc or circle, the only way I can do it right now is to export my drawing as a DXF, import it into Rhino, do the work, then return back to Fusion. This seems like a very important functionality that most other CAD/CAM software has, that Fusion is lacking!!

25 Comments
Farzati.Scott
Advocate

Absolutely!  Sure would like to see this added as well.  It's a pain to do all the extra work when a added feature would make life much easier...

Anonymous
Not applicable

01101001 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110101 01110000 01110110 01101111 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011; just kidding

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be very useful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Idea,This Would Be A Good Feature To Add To Fusion 360 And Would Make Fusion 360 Much Easier To Use. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea! I really need this feature to help create my logos with and I don't want to go through lengths to do such a simple thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[Comment Deleted]

Anonymous
Not applicable

i would really like to see this happen

carl-bartlett
Contributor

We have been asking for this for over 2 years seems like a simple feature to add in a dialog box:

draw circle or arc,

font

write text,

extrude or engrave

not a ton of options needed

Be nice to have it on 2 planes to arc like a penny or wrap like around a soup can.

leowarren34
Mentor

Absolutely if inventor has got it why havent we...

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an annoying workaround:

use the sheet metal tools to "unfold" a bent shape and then you can add text, cut, and refold.

Not pretty but it will get the job done.

leowarren34
Mentor

@Anonymous I think we are getting beyond workarounds, what is want is a neat and pretty tool that is more than just acceptable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could create a temporary set of curved background bodies that curve in the manner you require. You create your text and position it in front of the curved background body and then activate the 'extrude' feature and choose the cut mode and extrude cut it into the curved background body preferably one letter at a time. Then you sketch a rectangle that surrounds each letter that has been cut out of the dual layered curved background body and then extrude the rectangle through the curved background body cutouts of the text in the mode as a new body or new component. Next, you then choose the 'combine' tool and choose to 'cut' the curved background body that has the letters cut out of it with the rectangle that is surrounding each letter cutout and after you make the cut with the combine tool your rectangle(s) take on the shape of the cutout text which is matched to the curved background body you created at the start of this process.

In effect it is like creating a negative space mold and then filling it with a new body so that the empty space can cut out the the new body that is surrounding the shape or letter your want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just posted a set of methodologies for created various types of curved text on all the planes - X, Y, and Z.

My comment shows images and directions here at this link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/create-text-on-curve/idc-p/8545145#M37380

kmcgheeCMFPG
Advocate

Thanks nicholis.j.hill, but I am not sure how that would give me 2D text like below (borrowed the image off the page you linked to). And if it does and I am not seeing it, great but that method is extremely clunky and not practical for me teaching beginning modelers in my junior drafting high school class.

Text on Curve.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying. I know its a bit rough around the edges as a method to create 3D curved text. I can understand you want to show your students the most in tune with the program features method as possible.

Hey I came up with this solution in real-time after reading these idea submissions about curved text. It's new to me too and I wouldn't really want to try teaching that method to students either because it seems quite primitive and limited.

I'll see what I can come up with for styling text in the manner you shared in that image.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's sort of unfortunate a person cannot just change the angle of the profile of the text. It seems the only way to modify the text is to extrude the profile of the letters individually and then rotate them independently as a way to customize the orientation of the text style as in the example of the style shown in the image you provided. I'm going to work on this for awhile and see what gives.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this is basically the only system I could figure out to make text in the style you have in your image here:

The lines are separated at every 9 degrees which makes a total of 40 dividing lines. Then I created a letter that matched the dimensions of this setup and and extruded it. Next, I selected the letter 'C' from within the browser and chose the 'move' command and selected 'Free Move' and rotated the letter to the same degrees as the line I was planning on connecting it to which was 9 degrees. Then I selected the 'point to point' move feature and rotated to the back of the letter and chose a point location that was centered on the letter and then for the target point I chose the outermost point of a dividing line just one position left of the top center line and the letter moved precisely to the location to merge those two points. The letter 'A' required no rotation of the angle of course and all I had to do with that was match two points with the 'point to point' move feature.The lines are separated at every 9 degrees which makes a total of 40 dividing lines. Then I created a letter that matched the dimensions of this setup and and extruded it. Next, I selected the letter 'C' from within the browser and chose the 'move' command and selected 'Free Move' and rotated the letter to the same degrees as the line I was planning on connecting it to which was 9 degrees. Then I selected the 'point to point' move feature and rotated to the back of the letter and chose a point location that was centered on the letter and then for the target point I chose the outermost point of a dividing line just one position left of the top center line and the letter moved precisely to the location to merge those two points. The letter 'A' required no rotation of the angle of course and all I had to do with that was match two points with the 'point to point' move feature.

Well now I really understand why people are voting and submitting the idea to make it so Fusion 360 has a Text modifying feature that aligns the angles to the manner a user is wanting the text to align because it really is a bit of a repetitive complicated process to get text to align in this particular way. However, I think by creating a circle as I did and adding evenly spaced and divided lines in a sketch it makes the whole process much more systematic and forgiving compared to just eyeballing things and manually moving text letters around at random. Interesting. I have learned new things here and I'm glad for that.

leowarren34
Mentor

Thats really good @Anonymous, how long did that take you?

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

if the science is there to have a decal flow correctly across compound surfaces (albeit not if it has a hole in it), it seems like it would be there for text/type also. I'm not a coder, so maybe I'm missing something.

leowarren34
Mentor

@SEIZMICdesign 

It's probably not there as it's somewhat niche and would require more power, but I'm still intrigued...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report