Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create text on curve

Create text on curve

Hi,

I dont think I need to add anything to this. I really think that this is missing from Fusion. I know there is a workarnound through Inkscape, but thats not really a solution. Fusion should have this option in Text creating.

1. Create curve

2. Apply text to it

Text on Curve.PNG

58 Comments
fredgenius
Advocate
I've heard nothing.
brianriordan
Enthusiast
I don't monitor it closely- I heard a while ago this will be implemented in
2018 but....
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are solutions which really aren't that hard.

I'll provide some images that help show the summarized step by step process of creating 3D curved text and keep in mind you can use this same method on any of the axis planes, X, Y, or Z.

I placed the text inside the cylinder and extruded it in cut mode and cut out the letters in the curved wall of the cylinder.I placed the text inside the cylinder and extruded it in cut mode and cut out the letters in the curved wall of the cylinder.

Next

I created a new sketch and drew a rectangle that enveloped the text and surrounded it and then extruded it through the cylinder wall, also through the cutout text.I created a new sketch and drew a rectangle that enveloped the text and surrounded it and then extruded it through the cylinder wall, also through the cutout text.

Next

I used the 'combine' tool to cut out the letters in the rectangle. I selected the rectangle as that target body and the cylinder parts as the tool bodies (more than one because of the shape of the O which has a circle inside it as another body). Then after making the 'cut' with the 'combine' tool I moved the rectangle aside and created a new sketch and cut out the excess material that contains the newly created letters that spell 'hello'.I used the 'combine' tool to cut out the letters in the rectangle. I selected the rectangle as that target body and the cylinder parts as the tool bodies (more than one because of the shape of the O which has a circle inside it as another body). Then after making the 'cut' with the 'combine' tool I moved the rectangle aside and created a new sketch and cut out the excess material that contains the newly created letters that spell 'hello'.

Next

I cut out the excess material and was left with the letters 'Hello' which are curved to the contours of the cylinder wall and positioned the text in behind of the cutout letters in the cylinder wall.I cut out the excess material and was left with the letters 'Hello' which are curved to the contours of the cylinder wall and positioned the text in behind of the cutout letters in the cylinder wall.

Next

The final result is a significantly curved text relative to the curviture of the cylinder wall and the size of the text relative to the cylinder. As you can see the word Hello is curved inwards on the X plane.The final result is a significantly curved text relative to the curviture of the cylinder wall and the size of the text relative to the cylinder. As you can see the word Hello is curved inwards on the X plane.

And by using this method this is how you can curve your text by creating an inverse set of bodies of the text material.

If you simply place your word inside or in front of a cylinder there is a limitation to the maximum curvature angle you can achieve with this initial method. Using this method the limitation is that of about 180 degrees of curvature. However, there is additional methods for acquiring greater curvatures. If you wish to extend the curvature of your text beyond 180 degrees you must cut the letters into the cylinder wall one at a time and as you do so you must rotate the cylinder or create a new cylinder for each letter you add. The ratio of the text size to the size of the cylinder will determine the curvature dimensions to the individual text letters. Then when you cut your letters out of a new body using the combine tool you can create a curvature of up to 360 degrees for your words or sentences. This method may take a little work and time but it can achieve the results people are looking for. Once you give it a go you'll get the hang of it and then you can create all kinds of curved text for the X, Y, and Z planes.

fredgenius
Advocate
Thanks, I am aware of that method (and there's an easier way using a hollow
cylinder). However it only really works with shallow curves as it's still a
2d projection. Try wrapping text around a cylinder such that the first and
last letters meet and you'll see what I mean. And there's more to this than
just wrapping text around a cylinder, what about splines? What about text
that curves upwards as it curves around?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've seen a few videos that showed how to draw a sketch on a curved surface
such as a cylinder.

This video discusses how to wrap text around a curved cylinder surface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN5uqSyG6YA
fredgenius
Advocate
Superb, thanks. That opens up a whole new world of possibilities! And nice
video too.
mano
Participant

I can't believe there is no way to flow text along a curve in a sketch yet. Especially seeing as there are quite a few posts and hundreds of up-votes for the feature.

bryan5
Advocate

Any chance text on a curve will become available soon??? Anyone on the Fusion team care to comment?

Thank you

Bryan

mattsc
Contributor
  • There is little chance of this happening it seems. This is such a frequently requested feature, and it has met with such a resounding silence, it's clear that it is not, and apparently never will be, considered important. 😞
bryan5
Advocate

Text on a curve (non linear path)...... Will we get this functionality??????

Farzati.Scott
Advocate

Seems sooooo long ago that such a simple need was brought up...

Maciej_Rogowski
Enthusiast

Hello,

There is a new add-in called Text on Arc in the Autodesk App Store. It places text on a curve.

Here is a link to the Autodesk App Store:

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=4400374975546739480&appLang=en&os=Win64

fredgenius
Advocate

Thanks, this looks useful!

helfenj
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi everyone,

As we prepare to update our sketch roadmap I wanted to provide an update on this specific request. General Text Improvements, Text Along a Path, and Wrap Sketch are near the top of our roadmap. This is being reviewed for possible near term work. As that gets closer we will share more about the specific items we are working to address and ask for additional input.

Thanks,

John

tajudeen_t
Participant
Thank you for your message.
mano
Participant

Excellent news. Wrap sketch would be quite a welcome addition as well.

Rhino has a flow along curve and flow along surface feature. During development it would be great if bodies could be flowed (or wrapped) as well as text/sketches along other faces/bodies/paths. 
Just a thought.

ciscoRZGL2
Participant

Hello @helfenj, any updates on creating text on a curve in the 2D sketch environment? Seems like quite some time has passed since you last commented. Hoping this feature will be releasing soon....

MoshiurRashid
Advisor

I would love to add that a direct feature that would put sketch on curved surface would me more nice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report