Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break lines in Drawings and Annotations

Break lines in Drawings and Annotations

I would like to see the ability to add a break to long objects you are dimensioning and annotating when creating the drawing.  For example on a long shaft that has its key features on the each end, you should be able to insert a break along its length in a drawing so that it can still be drawn to scale and fully deminsioned but the center section which has no features is not shown.  

18 Comments
TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

This is exactly what I would need as well. It's really necessary if one designs shaft-like things, mainly for lathe work.

Autodesk folks, could you provide an insight, whether this addition is planned in the near future?

Thanks,

Janos

Cuthard
Participant

I have searched for quite a while, because I could not belive that this feature is not implemented.

Thus, the drawing tool is useless for me.

It's already programmed for Inventor. Is it so difficult to install it in Fusion 360?

Regards

cuthard

nvanlaar
Advocate

This really a basic drawing feature in every other CAD software package.  This needs to be implemented.

This is a work-around, kind of, but is a silly way to have to do it.

Long_part_break.png

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Dimension breaks are now available on our latest update! https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/august-8-update-whats-new/

mikeireland
Advocate

The feature that has been implemented in the August 8, 2017 and described in the videos on the update is not the feature requested in my original note.  Please change the status of this item back to under consideration.

Thanks

Mike Ireland

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I'm using fusion 360 and the lack of the break lines feature to show extremely long but small diameter designs is a nightmare. Has there been any progress implementing it?

Regardless of sheet size, I have a situation where my base view is so small it is barely visible and I have to use the detail view option at the ends of the tubing, as shown above by nvanlaar, to make the design visible. But this is a poor work around and makes the drawings look amateurish.

The lack of this feature makes the drawing component of fusion 360 quite poor. The rest of the system I'm happy with but this one small feature is driving me crazy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, was the ability to break a long piece in a drawing ever implemented?

Thanks in advance 

mikeireland
Advocate

No- Not to my knowledge.  Fusion has marked this for future consideration but no indication as to when they would implement.

jthut13
Contributor

I'd like to add this comment for visibility.
THIS SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED ASAP. IT IS A BASIC DRAWING FEATURE.

colinNJB25
Advocate

This would really simplify some drawings I need to submit today. 😕

slickmilwaukee
Contributor

Can we please get a status update on this? Has anyone come up with a workable work around? Thanks! 

mlisNBMBZ
Explorer

It's ridiculous that Fusion does not have this feature, probably one of the simplest and most useful one, and we're waiting 4 YEARS and still nothing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

feature still not implemented...

slickmilwaukee
Contributor
Any movement on this?
mikeireland
Advocate

No movement that I have seen.  While in general I like Fusion 360, the component that I am most dissatisfied with is the Drawing features.  And I am very unhappy with it.  They are lacking a number of capabilities, it is clunky to do things like build templates, customize font sizes line types and colors, and does not even include all of the features allowed by the ASME and ISO standards.  I am frustrated that it seems to receive a disproportionally low share of development effort for new features or enhancements  as compared to things like simulation, and generative design, which are nice capabilities but in my case not used. 

jthut13
Contributor

Absolutely 100% agree. My personal theory is that they want to make sure that Inventor and AutoCAD are still relevant in 2019 when they know full and well that if they put effort into making Fusion's drawing space as robust as the aforementioned programs, they'll drive themselves out of the market. If this is not the case, then the oversight on the drawing space is absolutely hindering progress for those of us who really love what Fusion brings to the table in other aspects. When I need a more detailed drawing, I'm forced to either:

A) Export the model to Inventor/SW/CAD to make the detailed drawing or 

B) Find some workaround that gives me something close enough to presentable that I can accept as a compromise

The fact that something so incredibly simple as adding break lines hasn't been implemented while we have something as complex as Generative Design makes me think that my first theory has to be true. 

Hopefully someone from Autodesk can prove me wrong and provide a sufficient explanation for the lack of focus on the drawing space. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report