Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch, just lost a few hours of work because "Import New Version"

Ouch, just lost a few hours of work because "Import New Version"

I have been using Fusion 360 CAM for the last 2 weeks and am super impressed.  This is the first real oops I ran into. 

Since my historical designs are in Solidworks, I have been importing the designs and then using Fusion 360 to do the Cam operations.

When I “imported a new version” all my cam operations that I spent a few hours to get perfect were lost without a warning. Ouch.

Part A suggestion:

• A Warning a message like “Operations done since previous import will be lost. Do you want to proceed?”
  • Provide an option to create a backup.

Part B suggestion:

My SolidWorks files are stored in Dropbox.  Dropbox (business version) provides automatic historical copies.  So even if I do something silly, or if SolidWorks misbehaves, I have plenty of versions to go back to.

Some paranoid people like me, have backups of dropbox.  This gives me the comfort of backups of backups of my work.

My part B suggestion is for Fusion 360 to save locally historical versions of all files being worked and allow the user to specify this location. This way, even if an Oops occurs, the user can have a backup.

Regards,

5 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

I don't know if this will help but what do you get if you right click on the i. I've not tried it after Import new Version but normally it should give you all the old saved versions.

Capture.PNG

HughesTooling
Consultant

I really need to learn my left from right.Smiley Embarassed I meant what do you get if you left click the i.

For the way you're working might want to uplaod your model, start a new design and use Insert in current design. I think that's the only way to keep your CAM setup and import an updated version of your model.

Mark

charegb
Community Manager

I agree with Mark's suggestion. I think this workflow you are looking for is:

1) Upload your SW file as D1

2) Create a new Fusion design called F1 that references D1 and do all your CAM work in F1.

Now you can update D1 using upload new version and your CAM setups in F1 should update with the changes.

Can you try that workflow?

Thanks,

Bankim

colin.smith
Alumni
This item has been archived due to a lack of votes. If you feel this item is important feel free to create a new idea station item.
colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report