Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connection for Fusion

Bolted Connection for Fusion

Hi All,

Please let me take an advantage of this great forum to get feedback to an idea of doing a Bolted Connection tool for Fusion.

Here is a link to video that demonstrates the proposal: http://youtu.be/7ev8vtVPY3A. The idea is simple: provide one click solution for modeling productivity. Simple UI and workflow optimized for Designers. Quick geometry generation, but no BOM (Bill Of Material) data.

Bolted Connection

I’m leading a small development team in Autodesk that just joined the Fusion family to help to make it even more successful. There is nothing better than getting feedback directly from You – Fusion users. Please take a look at the video and let me know your opinions, suggestions and thoughts. I would really appreciate it.

(If that kind of direct communication between development and customer community would be interesting to you I may be setting up a blog here – we did also a proposal for Gear tool that would quickly produce gears with exact geometry ready for 3D printing and some other interesting stuff.)

Thanks for your time,

Vasek

62 Comments
i-make-robots
Advocate

I came here looking for Fusion360 gear generation solutions.  Could it please be moved to it's own thread?  One thread per tool idea is less confusing.

I'm currently using a windows app from woodgears.ca to generate my gears.  I export them as DXFs, load into F360, and then re-cut the center cylinder so that fusion can correctly use it as a joint.  To do it in one step in F360 would be fantastic.  I have yet to grok explaining mechanical mates of my gears to F360.

I care most about distance between shafts, shaft sizes, and gear ratio equally; then tooth strength; and finally tooth size.  Tooth size must never be smaller than my DFM & CAM tools can produce.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How's the work going?

WyzeOwl
Advocate

Very excited about new holing and fastening functionality. I also use woodgears.ca and am patiently waiting for these two updates - as I know they are coming, soon I hope.

Keep up the good work. Many kudos.

jeff.miles
Autodesk

Just going thru the idea station and noticed this one......GREAT idea.

Yes on the Helicoils as Kevin mentioned the other year.

Just a thought.....Be able to to do the holes only.

Meaning have the ablity to do clearance hole and tapped hole in one command but do not insert the fastener.

Also maybe hole patterns in one command.....4 holes one at each corenr of a square.

Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

where  is this pinion rack script at? this current gear system its just crap,  im about to cancel Autodesk and join Solidworks

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Zephyr958
Advocate

Love this Idea but puzzled as to why the 360 team is not reaching out to its big brother Inventor for advice to to add functionalty to fusion 360. To view a great tutorial of a similar tool just more robust follow this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBKu0HF-hOM&spfreload=10

What I would like to see is more companies like Mcmaster carr added to the insert menu, maybe,  ThomasRegister, Grainger, nook , thk. Automation direct etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Place bolts, nuts and other components automatically multiple times in a patterned hole using AutoDrop.

Reference:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

Tags (3)
promm
Alumni

@JonSchaeffer,

I am going to merge Dynamic Toolbox with the Bolted Connection idea.  Both ideas have the same workflow and Bolted Connection is a top idea.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

i-make-robots
Advocate

This looks like it will ease a paint point in my design flow.  I look forward to the working placement tool - will not move countersunk holes for me at the moment.  Thank you!!

AMRaisch
Participant

This idea started in 2014.  When is this going to be implemented.  At this rate Fusion will have the features that I need in 20 years!  I do not understand why, when something like this has already been developed, it is not added to the program.  I know that I should not complain as this is a free program.  Maybe Autodesk could implement an idea station that people could put money toward the development of.  I would be willing to pay!

promm
Alumni

@AMRaisch,

Bolted connection is a ways out.  Inventor has the ability to do this workflow, I assume this is what you mean by "already been developed".  This is a large project due to the fact that Inventor and Fusion use different platforms, Fusion utilizes the cloud and can run on a Mac.  We also are waiting for dependency work to be done by the data team, libraries for example, to be done before we start on this project.  I appreciate the gesture to pay to help influence the priority, to me this shows how strongly you believe in Fusion.

Regards,

Mike Prom

AMRaisch
Participant
The video demonstration that was posted in 2014 was working within the Fusion 360 environment not inventor. The question is why, if it was functional in 2014, has their been no rllelease of this functionality to the public. Also, where exactly are we in this process.

The reason that I ask is that I, as an individual with limited resources, am trying to determine what application I am going to invest my time and future money in. I have specific needs for a parametric application to accomplish that are in the works for Fusion. However, if their release will not be for 5 to 10 years then, this program is no longer a viable option.
promm
Alumni

@AMRaisch,

The video was created as a proof of concept and is not functional.  I would expect us to looking into this within the next few years.  However, there is no guarantee, this is just an estimate based off of current resources and priorities.

Regards,

Mike Prom

tgack
Explorer

I was just going to request this feature but using a different name. Would really like to see this feature in Fusion 360.

WyzeOwl
Advocate
Please please please move this bolted connection idea along - please. This is super important to anyone developing machine components and not just using Fusion for FEA or making armies of 3D printed droids. Seems Fusion team is only looking at both ends of the spectrum with adding really great functionality to address the high end user needs - FEA. As well the the other side of the coin are the makers who use Fusion to send directly to printers. Those of us trying to use Fusion for machine parts making seem to be less of a priority. Would it not seem likley that anyone using FEA might need a bolted connection first?
brian
Community Visitor

Hi, 

This seems like a really useful tool, is it still going to be implemented?

I am trying to streamline my workflow for adding screw fasteners and so far most suggestions have been to use the McMaster Carr library. Although this is useful the search function and UI is clunky. But most critically, McMaster Carr doesn't supply the UK where we are based. 

I know other libraries are available but they seem to lack the functionality of solidworks' tool box. (not perfect, but very useful)

What would be much more useful is a parametrically driven "Screw builder" tool which allows you to select head type, length, thread diameter, pitch and material, and imports the created model as a component so it can easily be added to a BOM. 

It would be great if something along these lines could be implemented. 

Brian 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all,

@brian 

I have implemented the basic idea as a Fusion AddIn here Customizable Content Center

It is in its early stages at the moment but I hope you like it.

Feel free to share your ideas and suggest your improvements.

Thanks in advancve!

Greets Fabi

brian
Community Visitor
Hi Fabi,

This looks perfect for my workflow. Would there be any way to get a Mac
version of the app?

Best,
Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brian

I will look into it. I dont have a Mac but it should also be runnable on a Mac aswell. 

If you dont want to wait till the Mac version gets published you can try to run it by yourselve from github /Bitfroest/contentcenter_fusion360

Please let me know if its working 😄

Greets Fabi

jppoirier79
Explorer

I see a lot of unrelated comments in the thread. Gear generators and such are a different topic. This one is for BOLTED CONNECTION. I wish the thread could be cleaned up of all other topics.

Development of this function is not easy due to the last array of standard components available. Like many things, it think development should concentrate on 20% of the fasteners that will allow 80% of the bolted connections. The fasteners 3D models are all available thru McMaster Carr. Mostly used screws are hexagonal head, socket head cap screws, and countersunk. Mostly used washers are flat, and lock. Mostly used nuts are standard hexagonal and with nylon insert.

Fusion has to be simplified vs Inventor. If you want all the features including calculations, go for the enterprise system. All we need is to drill, tap, add fasteners (bolt or screw, washer, and nut) in ONE OPERATION! I would think that the hole function is a prerequisite for this bigger function. Now that the hole function is implemented, I hope this function can come back in full development. The linked video in Vaclav post of 12-12-2014 looks great. http://youtu.be/6KaSAqCgvT0

There could also be an option for custom designs. It would allow the user to select any fastener from McM and manually add the joint origin. Once a custom connection is defined, it could be used in other places in the model.

This function would make us save so much time. Right now Fusion is a toy. Please make it a tool!!! Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report