Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D sketching

3D sketching

Some more 3D sketching options would be great - rather than having to make a plane for each sketch, being able to do some more multiplanar sketches or compound curves in space would be invaluable

24 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked to do this, so you can draw as well as in Rhino, Alias, Moi3D, Solidthinking, CATIA. But marketers do not understand why designers need tools to design. None of them did the exact aesthetic of the surface, because they believe that others don't need it.
 Still they are afraid to frighten beginners by the difficult interface, without understanding that there are such programs as MoI3D where curves in space are realized in a simple, intuitive and clear way.

They need two more years to realize that it is really necessary.

Also long begged to make splines with control CV tops, but did only now when it took 3 years. I hope also that they will realize and create tools for CV control for the surface.

They too hoped on T-Splines, thought that modeling surfaces and curves are remnants of the past. But the guys were not able to test t-Splines for a clean design.

We warned them and wrote that T-Splines are only good for a quick concept, but not for a finish design. But the guys didn't understand that T-Splines are dirty geometry and protivoe curvature control, as they are uncomfortable and difficult to manage, to do class-A.

Therefore, for Fusion did not develop tools for surface modeling, believing that it is not so important. In addition, the geometric Fusion kernel is not capable of quickly processing operations to construct complex geometric shapes by curvature.

And users still have to now do surface modeling in CATIA, Rhino, Alias.

I voted for it, but I do not believe that product managers will allow developers to make full and convenient ways to create 3D sketches, curves in space.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Big thumbs up on the 3d sketching here as well. Especially great for reference geometry. Rhino 3d and moment of inspiration are great examples of direct 3d sketch environments. Let’s not forget Alias either, Autodesk already owns a great 3d sketch/surface modeler, trickle some of that technology down to Fusion. Blend Curves please

MAS.DPL
Advocate

3D sketch IS available !! 

Capture.JPG

But I agree, its function and scope is not as clear as it is say in solidworks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Fusion World!

I am quite a new user to fusion 360 and this is my first post!

I have 8 years of experience on CATIA, especially on generative shape design (surface design).

I was about to write a message on how difficult it was to 3D sketch and then I realized that 3D Sketch is just brand new in fusion? Am I right?
So here is some suggestion anyway:

What is the best workflow to achieve this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvhL8uj4Ww

For now, I have been struggling a lot in constraining 3D curvs.

Comparing to CATIA where you can add a 3D spline and constraining the tangent within 6 clic (opening the dialog box, clicking on the point, then the line for the direction, then the second point, then the second direction, closing the dialog box). Fusion 360 needs probably 20 to 30 clics to achieve a result. (I mean, to have a constrained spline that will not explode and change of shape when you move your geometry). So yep, you don’t really feel confident!
However, if it’s under current development, then hurray!

Here are some key improvement:

-defining a point in the space (X Y Z coordinate) with a specified origin (by default, center of the project)

For now, you have to create an offset plane and create a sketch and enter X and Y dimension… too many clicks!

-defining a point on curve (with 3 possibilities: straight distance, distance on the curve, ratio on the curv.
For now, the last one is now achieved by the “plane along path”, but with no options.

-defining a plane based on a curve (normal) and a point… (then you have the flexibility of the point on a curv)

-create quick splines, with possibility to use existing geometries (volume or surface) with the possibility to define the strength of tangent or the curvature.
For now, when I constraint a 3D curv on a 3D sketch, I found only one method that follows any modification (from the many one possible).

For me, the above requirements looks to be the minimum requirement to work on surfaces…
But this may be due to years of habits, and I surely don’t have understood yet the right philosophy of fusion. For now I don’t feel confident if I start a project and then I realise that few dimensions have to change… then I would be scared to move one single sketch!!!

However, I love this all new mentality, and learning something new is always good!

AH! And I just thought that it would be great to add arrows for editing values on sketches, extrusion etc… and eventually, using the scroll to increase or decrease of a step, than can be modified. That would speed up workflow a lot!
Best Regards,
Siegfried

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MAS.DPL I know that 3D sketch is available and have it enabled. It could benefit a lot from added functionality. It's time consuming, cumbersome and fragile as it is. That's what this post is about, added 3D sketch functionality.

leowarren34
Mentor

I find fusion doesnt have the nice layout that all the other CAD software has including inventor, very much drop down menus rather than a full ribbon...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@leowarren34 Hi Leo, I share this opinion with you but have found that with the new UI preview that has a tabbed interface this problem goes away. I have activated the new UI preview and pinned all my most commonly used commands to the ribbon. It's made a huge difference for me, I rarely use the drop downs now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The layout of 3D experience (Catia "V7") is quite similar to fusion, WITHOUT the possibility to pin favorite buttons... good bye ribbons, welcome big buttons... but here is not the topic... 
What can be improved for surface design according to your needs?

leowarren34
Mentor

@Anonymous That makes more sense, I've since switched over to inventor hence the preference and experience.

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

3D sketching in Fusion360 is a major headache.

Team, rip a page out of SolidWorks' book here.

leowarren34
Mentor

@SEIZMICdesign 

How do you find 3d sketching in IV, if you've had the experience?

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

@leowarren34  IV? I don’t know about that, but in SolidWorks it works just like you would think it would. Start a line constrained to a point, dimension it in any way you need to off either the previous line or a construction line and just keep going. Mirror, parallel, equal, go back and change dimensions use it to pipe, go back & change things again, update no sweat... Basically like sketching works in 2D in fusion... except in 3D also. 

leowarren34
Mentor

@SEIZMICdesign 

3d sketch is out of the way under standard sketch but really isnt used that much besides pipe runs etc.

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

@leowarren34 mmmmm... it might be a lot more widespread than you imagine. Obviously less so than 2D sketching. I used to do lots of 3D wire at my previous job, so I don’t even do a lot of 3D sketching anymore, but there are lots of little things that crop up from time to time that require solid 3D sketching functions. I just think back to if I’d had to use fusion for that stuff what a nightmare it would be. It might be worse than Rhino! I’ve had a few situations recently where I just had to hack something together with sheet metal edges or a constellation of planes and guide lines. Really wouldn’t hurt to improve 3D sketching in Fusion.

leowarren34
Mentor

@SEIZMICdesign Haha, do bare in mind Fusion is a light weight CAD software more aimed at enthusiasts and smaller businesses whereas Inventor is for much bigger projects and has a price tag to reflect that, since 3d sketching isn't used most of the time I can see why it hasnt been in the scope recently. 

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

@leowarren34 uuh, ok.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@leowarren34 

Do you think that if Fusion 360 is a low-level CAD system, then the curves of the shape should be painful to build?
You want to say that CATIA is a high level CAD system just because you can easily and quickly design curved shapes in it?
Doesn't high-level CAD software relate to design automation, simulation and automation of various types of production, work with ERP, PDM and other databases?

You want to say that enthusiasts and startups do not need beautiful transitions on curved forms for their products, do not need complex spatial elements of geometry? Startups do not need to sell, their products should be with poor styling? Therefore, they fit the Fusion 360, great.

Do I really have to make beautiful chandeliers, headphones or glasses cases with smooth transitions in CATIA, Creo, HX?

I will disappoint you, because Rhino, MoI3d are not CAD software, it is just a program for modeling, but it contains simple and intuitive tools for working with curves in space in an intuitive way. How does this compare with an even lower level of software, because it is not even CAD?
This functionality concerns the UI of the space and the interaction of developers with the geometric core to create the necessary features.

The lack of normal operation with curves in 3D environment and CV surfaces cannot be justified by the fact that Fusion is a low-level CAD system.

leowarren34
Mentor

I did not intend to offend @Anonymous, what I'm saying is that Fusion has a target market and so does Inventor, it would make little sense to make two very similar apps with very big difference cost. Inventor has more features and so should cost more, what I'm not saying is make F360 a 3rd tier program that is cumbersome and Inconvienient it's about finding a middle group between cost and features.

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

@leowarren34 I could certainly be wrong about this, but the way I see it is Inventor will eventually be phased out and Fusion360 will eventually take it's place, hence it starting life as "Inventor Fusion". Better 3D sketching is just another feature in the parity cue. 

leowarren34
Mentor

@SEIZMICdesign Whilst it'd be good to have one product its unlikely as £2000 a year license for IV has to be justafiable against a £300/1500 Fusion 360, If you mergered the products then profits would most definitely be lost as if the put up Fusion then less people will buy, there a reason for both. Autodesk is a business at the end of the day so it has to be profitable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report