Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation Graphics Card for Fusion

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
9688 Views, 5 Replies

Workstation Graphics Card for Fusion

I have the choice to order either a

NVIDIA QUADRO K2200 4GB    or a    AMD FIREPRO W5100 4GB.

What card would you recommend for F360 and why?

Thanks for any input!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Anonymous

Neither, at work I have two computers both have workstation GFX cards one a quadro and one a firepro, performance on both highend workstations is terrible compared to my home computer with a 4gb gaming card.

Just my 2 cents

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting

The Nvidia Quattro and AMD Firepro series graphics cards are aimed ad traditional CAD and DCC (Digital Content Creation) softwares that use Open GL as the graphics API. These usually contain "optimized" and "certified" Open GL drivers and these drivers are the difference you are paying for compared to a gaming graphics card with the same hardware.

The Quattro and Firepro cards do use the same hardware/chips as the gaming cards.

Unless you need certified Open GL drivers for another application I would not buy one of these but a gaming card will do likely better.

Fusion 360 used the DirectX API that is likely to work smoother on gaming graphics cards than on these "pro" graphics cards.

As gaming on Windows exlusively uses DirectX the drivers are also are optimized to use it.

That also helps explaining why Phil's home computer performs better then the work computers wth these "pro" graphics cards.

On the Mac platform Fusion 360 unfortunately uses OpenGL.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
ScottWertel

Given that those are you only 2 choices, I'd have to ask who the PC maker is and what other components you have in it.

For example, if you are running an AMD CPU with compatible motherboard, it is highly likely you'll get better performance out of the FirePro card.

If you are running an Intel machine, then either works fine, but the nVidia is more likely to have better support for other applications you may be running on the same box.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Great! So now I got a Geforce 970 and it simply rocks!

Thank you!  🙂

Message 6 of 6
infoQN65E

Hi,

Sorry for starting the topic over again, but I'm facing the same problems as you mentioned before.
I run Fusion on a Hp Workstation with a nvidia quadro p4000 and it totally lacks with bigger assemblies.

The card isn't recognized by the software at all and I tried several settings in the NVIDIA control panel but couldn't get it to work smooth yet. I even set all the settings to the lowest options(?) possible but still face all the issues.

Are there really no options at all in fusion to let the GPU work even a bit?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report