Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sculpt environment match function breaks model airplane.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
486 Views, 7 Replies

Sculpt environment match function breaks model airplane.

So what I'm trying to do is to blend this wing into my fuselage. Ideally, what I'd like to do is pretty much exactly what the tangent(G1) function in Sculpt>match. Each time I try, however, the model spazzes out and creates infinitely long spikes. I've looked around but haven't found advice on this one. thoughts?

Attached file. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

That geometry is too complex to be matched. That applies not only to the edge of the wing but also to the T-Spline.

In general that T-Spline needs a good bit of work to clean up the topology. I think it is too dense and you added detail before the main shape was completely finished.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
TrippyLighting

I've cleaned your T-Spline up a bit and then merged the wing into the main body after it was converted into a solid body. Not sure this is exactly what you want but is a better workflow than trying to match the T-Spline to the wing.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.39.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.42.44 PM.png

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Well, I made the wing as simple as I could without losing detail. A loft of a spline with minimal points. As for the form, I added detail before I made the hole by subdividing in order to try and match the wing, but removing the subdivisions hasn't helped. I feel like I've made both the plane and wing as clean and simple as I know how. Am I outta luck?

Edit: hadn't seen your response. lemme look again 🙂

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

So i came to the conclusion that i really did need the lines that I'd in place to give the proper amount of detail. I ended up using the pull command and just doing a lot of tweaking in order to make things approximately what I wanted to end up with. I do wish it were a bit neater, but I think it came out alright.

Message 6 of 8
TrippyLighting

I don’t. Know what you’ve learned from my model, but it appears to be nothing.

Your overuse  of T-Junctions is really not good, you work with way too many polygons way too early.

That  why it looks so rough.

But if you are not interested in learning from someone with more experience, then suit yourself.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

@TrippyLighting  Perhaps my previous post sounded rather dismissive. Allow me to rephrase.

I appreciate the effort you put in on the model, but wasn't readily able to make it follow the curves I needed, so I decided to spend some more time trying to fix the one I'd made previously. My goal was to make the curves of the fuselage flow into the wing, rather than something like a fillet.

You're right. I wasn't able to take away much from looking at your model, but not from lack of interest. To me, it looked fairly similar to the way mine had started out, before I began trying to get more specific and sharper curves. This kind of modeling is new to me, and the few tutorials for it are a bit sparse on what constitutes best practices, or what the disadvantages of not abiding by them would be.

I'll keep working at it, though. You're not wrong, and perhaps the best thing would be to start from scratch again in order to prevent downstream problems

Message 8 of 8
TrippyLighting

Finding tutorials that show how to fix issues are hard to find. I had actually started recording a screencast, but it got too long and I also got interrupted and then abandoned the screencast.

If you want to learn more about Sub-D/T-Spline modeling, look at tutorials for MoDo, Blender, Maya, etc. Different tools, but the same modeling concept. I often model a quad mesh in Blender, for example, and then import it into Fusion 360 and convert it into a T-Spline.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report