Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rack and pinion

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1448 Views, 17 Replies

Rack and pinion

where is this feature at? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKdTTE4j8so&feature=youtu.be i been asked a long time ago and so far i been just ignored by theteam members

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mstrater
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a gear script included in Fusion as demonstrated here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/d4457ea5-942b-493d-89ee-4182437e23f8

There's a bit more discussion here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/planetary-gear/m-p/5787453#M31465

Max Strater
Sr. Software Engineer
Message 3 of 18
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: mstrater

@mstrater

That is not the functionality he is looking for. The tool in the video is way more advanced then the gear tool that is currently in Fusion. The current tool compared to the tool in the video is like comparing a Ferrari to a pinto. Smiley Wink

He is looking for design accelerators like in Inventor. I too am very curious as to what happened to the development of this tool.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 4 of 18
mstrater
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

There are a couple related IdeaStation posts:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/gearing-tool/idi-p/4657023

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/involute-gear-tooth-tool/idi-p/441635...

I was just suggesting what is currently available.

Max Strater
Sr. Software Engineer
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

this type of gear is pretty lame though it does work but this type of gears cant be scale up/down to fit other gears because their teeth will not be the same pitch we need the one presented in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKdTTE4j8so&feature=youtu.be this is alot more better and easy to work with and besides this accelerator where is the one for the Rack and its pinion because in my opinion these should be part of a AutoDesk Primitives just like CUBE and SPHERE
Message 6 of 18
PhilProcarioJr

@mstrater

Does Vaclav Prchlik still work for Autodesk? Is there a way we can contact him?

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 7 of 18
mstrater

His forum profile is here, you can send him a private message.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/112917

Max Strater
Sr. Software Engineer
Message 8 of 18

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your interest. Specialized native Fusion tools for Gears, Shafts, Keys and all of these Engineering Handbook popular components are currently on hold. Current priority for me and my team is Simulation for Fusion. We are intensively working on first Cloud Simulation for Fusion.

I would love to spend more time on bringing "Engineering Handbook on steroids" (that is how people called this technology in past :- ) to Fusion universe. It is almost like my hobby project. However Fusion team is clearly and transparently driven by user needs. Gathered from forums, customer visits, Autodesk University feedback, etc. Voice of customers is telling us that Cloud Simulation is more important than Gears, etc. nowadays.

We can talk about it, my mobile is +420 737 289 512. Please do not hesitate to call. (I'm in CET time zone.)

Have a nice day,

Vasek

Message 9 of 18

@vaclav_prchlik

Hello Vasek,

Thank you for giving us a heads up on what happened. I would love to talk with you about this unfortunately it costs me a small fortune to call Europe.

Quick question, was this built with the API? With script or coded?

Best Regards

Phil

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 18

Hi Phil,

This was coded inside Fusion using C++. However API evolved a lot past year, so it may be possible to build similar thing through API. I would recommend to try. If you want I can find a person in Fusion team that is an expert in API area.

Thanks,

Vasek

Message 11 of 18
O.Tan
in reply to: vaclav_prchlik

Oh darn, no wonder after a year it's still not in Fusion. I thought it was axed or something after the introduction of McMasterCarr integration, which is no where as cool as what you've previewed previously.

Now I'm curious who are those ppl who demands Cloud Sim as I feel there's many more areas in Fusion that needs more work on then Cloud Sim (especially since there's already native Sim in Fusion)

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 12 of 18
charegb
in reply to: O.Tan

Hi Otan,

To add to what Vasek said, the team is working on Cloud Sim as part of a bigger project to bring many more advance simulation tools (did someone say Nastran? 😉 ) to Fusion. Cloud Sim just lays the ground work to let users run larger and more complicated simulations like non-linear and optimization efficiently in the cloud. We get a lot of feedback from multiple channels around needing these advanced sim and optimization tools for Fusion.

Thanks,

Bankim

Message 13 of 18
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: charegb

@charegb

I like the fact that the team is furthering the Sim Capabilities, but core tools in Fusion like Vasek's tool shouldn't be abandoned......

The only reason people are requesting Sim tools as much as they are is because of how cheap Fusion is where all the other Sim tools on the market are thousands of dollars.....

This is a prime example of taking away from one part of Fusion to develop another....something that was said here on the boards is ("that's not the case", but as we see here it actually is.)

Just my 2 cents

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

took the words out of my mouth Phil, well said!
Message 15 of 18
PhilProcarioJr

In my opinion @vaclav_prchlik is a true visionary and a complete inspiration with his work. He leads the way in innovation and has a vision that doesn't follow the industries bland vision of how software should be. He thinks outside the box, his tools could save thousands of hours of work and could lead to other tools that set the example for others to follow. It's because of the few people like him that I got into 3d modeling and CAD 27 years ago. I'm sure his work with simulation is also ground breaking but at what expense? Great, so now we have simulation but can't create things like G2 or G3 curvature, advanced surface and T-spline tools are lacking useful features.

Fusion could easily replace any other CAD tool with the right direction and stability enhancements. After looking over all his past work I am amazed at the core functionality he has added in his videos. 

I thought to myself, this blows the competition away.......why in the world would advancements like this be shelved.....at the very least the part of the Fusion team developing new tools should have been given this code to finish and implement it. I have to be completely honest, I just don't get it. Most of all I can't believe people here on the boards are not voicing their opinions on how nice it would be to have tools like this in Fusion.....Honestly it's just a shame and a huge waste of what I feel would be a fantastic set of tools and functionality.....

But again this is just my 2 cents.....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 16 of 18
O.Tan

Well regarding the voice in the boards, you gotta see how many posts the person has, recently most of it are new Fusion users post, if you go back a year ago, you'll see that there's more seasoned users posting and I feel that back then, people are more enthusiastic about posting up suggestions and ideas but it looks like that has waned down as many of their requests are simply brushed aside or for future consideration (understandably so). Right now all that you see in the forums is people asking how to use or solve things.

And you have a good point in regards that people use F360 for Sim as it's the cheapest Sim tool out there.

I do find Fusion has improved in terms of stability, but I feel that too much focus is onto Sim when I felt most users either don't know how to use it or won't be using it.

I hate to point it out, but just look at Drawings, 2 years and it's still unusable whereas CAM and SIM which came after Drawings is now perfectly useable.

And yes +1 to what @vaclav_prchlik was doing, it looks totally intuitive and awesome, something that's not available in many competing CAD systems.

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 17 of 18
vaclav_prchlik

Hi Phil and O.Tan,

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your comments to what my team and myself are doing!

IMHO there is a big potential in Cloud Sim. Please let prepare a post about it. It is a small step in a direction that opens amazing functionality: using power of cloud to suggest variants of your design as you are creating it; suggesting the right sizes (let's say the extrude command would offer a value that would be right from mechanical feasibility perspective); proposing topology based on required function; etc.

Thanks,
Vasek
Message 18 of 18

Hi Phil, O.Tan and All,

I could not sleep last night and I thought a lot about how to share with you an excitement and potential of Cloud Simulation. I see your comment about why we need Cloud Simulation when current local solve works fine.

I’m a big fan of history mechanical engineering so please let me start with an analogy.

Carriage and Car.jpg

The picture above shows horse drawn carriage and one of first cars. It looked pretty similar and the value of first car was maybe not obvious. But it was a substantial technology shift that changed our civilization. You may say that it took cars decades to replace carriages, but the speed of changes is exponentially increasing and decades are shortened to years and soon maybe months.

There is another interesting point in the picture: first car was imitating the carriage. There is an inertia in design, a lot of components reuse. You can see similar mimicry in a first generation of simulation tools transitioning to Cloud. Typically they add a “Cloud solve” as an addition to “Local solve”. In Fusion we are taking step forward and we are creating technology that is primarily focused on helping users to take advantage of Cloud.

Solve Dialog.jpg

Our Solve dialog not only lists all studies that are ready for parallel computation, but also offers automatic creation of new studies that can be concurrently calculated. As a result users can understand multiple facets of the problem they are solving. But it is just a first baby step. Parallel power of Cloud together with Cloud data centric approach opens a lot of opportunities:

• Validation of you design as you are creating it
  • Proposing variants that would fulfil the same design goal
  • Searching past solution and offering a typical/best solution for combination of your loads and constraints. Maybe not only based on your past solutions: I can imagine creation of community of designers that would share their best practices in an “open source” form and create a real crowd sourcing platform for designers and engineers
  • Cloud data could offer a ranking of your design based on simulation. Similar as Fitbit offers in data analysis tools based on millions of entries from their user base.
  • Power of Cloud can help to generate a design based just on loads and supports definition (there was a nice demonstration of it on last Autodesk University
  • Reverse engineering – using parallel threads of simulations to find what the part/assembly is good for
  • Optimization
  • Design of custom 3D printed composite materials and microstructures to exactly fit definition of your simulation
  • Drop test: Parallel evaluation of multiple angles and positions of drop to find the worst case
  • Etc.

We are living in the era of exciting technology shift in how we design and engineer our world. CAD is already making a path to Cloud and Simulation is in a very begging of its own path. Thanks for being on this journey with us, your active contributions on Fusion forum is helping the community a lot.

Have a nice Easter weekend,

Vasek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report