Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie, creating a section of curved plate.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
joepesterey
296 Views, 10 Replies

Newbie, creating a section of curved plate.

Hello, I am trying to create a drawing of a curved plate with an inside diameter of 7000mm and a thickness of 12mm. 

I lay out two circles and construction draw the required cord. I then proceed to draw the ends; my problem is the lines from the inner circle will not exactly snap to the outer circle, hence I cannot isolate the section for trimming. 

I have read all the solutions proposed by the faqs and made the suggested changes but the same problem manifests itself.

The casting end of the drawn line from the inside radius refuses to snap to the outside circle.

Thank you for your help.screen.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hamid.sh.
in reply to: joepesterey

Could you please share your file (export to *.f3d) and attach here?

Hamid
Message 3 of 11
jeff_strater

weird.  It works for me:

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 7.57.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 7.57.47 PM.png

sample model is attached.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 11
joepesterey
in reply to: hamid.sh.

Thanks for your reply Hamid, maybe it's the way I have approached the
design. When I try to link I can see the box or the x mark, but the line
never ends up on the radius. The line seems to want to attach itself to the
grid lines and not the actual radius itself.
I have tried entering the distance ie;12mm, it either overshoots or
undershoots, unlucky for me, never on the line.
Thank you for your time.
Kind Regards
Joe
Message 5 of 11
hamid.sh.

Are you sure it's not really on the line? Because I guess it's just a graphic thing (especially because diameter and line length are orders of magnitude different). You check if a closed profile (darker blue) is formed by the two arcs and two lines:

sketch.png

You can also be sure of coincidence between line end and arc by checking Coincident icon (it appears after you select line's end point). Also see this screencast in which I show above points. In it line seems not snapping on the arc but in fact it does.

Hamid
Message 6 of 11
etfrench

Do you have Snap to Grid turned off?

SnapGrid.jpg

If you have Layout Grid enabled, I would also turn that off.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
etfrench
in reply to: etfrench

You could try creating the lines in a different order as in the screencast.

Another way to ensure the endpoints are coincident with the outer circle is to extend them past the circle (draw a line outside the circle to extend them to) then trim the lines back to the outer circle.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
jeff_strater

"I have tried entering the distance ie;12mm, it either overshoots or undershoots"

That is likely the source of the problem.  Do not try to create those lines by specifying the length of the lines.  That will force the line length, and may not pick up the coincident constraint to the other circle.  Look for the "X" inference, which indicates snapping to the outer line:

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 3.11.17 PM.png

The fact that you get the white dot is indicative of not having made that connection.  See the screencast:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 11
joepesterey
in reply to: etfrench

Yes,

Message 10 of 11
joepesterey

Thank you for your help. It's good to know that the platform has lots of support and therefore is worth investing in. They say men are unable to multitask, but that's not true. I took some time away from the project and had an idea. I made two concentric circles and created a vertical construction line, a center-constrained rectangle with one dimension being the cord. I pushed it up to the inner arc to create the connection between the two circles. I only partially cast the line and then I used the extend command and realised that wysiwyg is not necessarily true. At full zoom the line shot past the radius drawn. I was able to select the part I wanted. What Hamid said is the answer; you have to look for the connection sign, not necessarily what the screen shows you. Thanks for all your help.
Message 11 of 11
etfrench

If you will be making this from flat plate, your method won't give  you 90 degree sides.  Instead of drawing a rectangle, draw two lines from the center of the circle to the outer circle.  Dimension the distance between the end points to the chord length. Draw a construction line vertically from the center to the circle.  Set the angles between the center line and the other lines equal to each other.  Offset the outer circle 12mm towards the center.  Extrude the profile.  When this is converted to sheet metal you'll find the angle of the sides to the top is 90 degrees.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report