Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISO surface roughness symbol missing roughness?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tomae
16320 Views, 6 Replies

ISO surface roughness symbol missing roughness?

I have a metric drawing that I need to add surface roughness designations for.    I changed my parameters for the drawing to enable metric units.  When I select the Surface Texture tool and place it there is no field to add the basic (Average) Roughness Value to.  When I am inches mode in a drawing the field exists and everything works according to my understanding of the callout.   According to what I can find on the web the ISO use look of the symbol appears identical so I am not sure why it changes. 

Is this a bug?  Or is my understanding of Surface Roughness in an ISO drawing flawed?  See attached screen shots...

-Tom

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: tomae

This Google search seems to show the ISO standard in Fusion looks right. I guess when you're talking about Inch an MM mode you're talking about the ASME and ISO standards, ASME set to mm doesn't look the same as ISO set to mm for example.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
tomae
in reply to: HughesTooling

The first link in your search is EngineersEdge which I often use.  It shows this (inserted screenshot below) which is not what Fusion is giving me (I can't get the "a" field:  Roughness Value in Micrometers).   In fact the first 3 links you sent all show "a" in the crook of the checkmark.  What am I missing?

Screenshot 2019-05-23 08.16.20.png

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing/_iso_surface_roughness_symbols_terminology_13090.htm

Message 4 of 7
HughesTooling

Yes looking a bit more I found that one as well but there are others without the roughness value where you show it. I guess there are standards within standards here. @TimeraAutodesk  Can you comment?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
tomae

@HughesTooling wrote:

Yes looking a bit more I found that one as well but there are others without the roughness value where you show it. I guess there are standards within standards here. @TimeraAutodesk  Can you comment?

Mark

Mark, can you send a link for a valid one that doesn't include the average roughness value in the crook of the checkmark?  I can't seem to find any other than old non-standards....   Average Surface Roughness is a common value used in industry in my (admittedly limited) experience.  I will hand edit  the PDFs before sending them out to put it where my customer is expecting, but I find it odd that I get different behavior when I am using inches vs mm in Fusion. 

PS:  On further reading I am thinking this is the result of someone mis-reading of a specification.  The average roughness value "a" is not in the crook of the symbol IFF you specify more specific parameters.

Message 6 of 7
HughesTooling

From the search I linked above I clicked images as it's easier with pictures. This one for example. Could you use an ASME template set to mm as a workaround?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
tomae

Ok, so ISO 1302-2002 seems to be the current specification.  If so, then the way my customer wants it is an old and deprecated method.  So it appears that [perhaps] Fusion is doing it right for ISO/mm documents.   

The current ASME standard seems to be ASME B46.1-2009.  I can't find one of those (easily) so I will assume Fusion is doing the right thing there (putting Ra in the crook of the check mark).

So, your suggestion of using an ASME format drawing with mm units is what I will do.

Here is a random link to the ISO document that may or may not be a "real" version of it (didn't feel like paying for the ISO spec):

http://triblab.teipir.gr/files/Machinery/ISO_1302_2002_Indication_of_surface_texture_in_technical_pr...

Thanks Mark!

-Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report