Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to repeat or pattern a cut on an elongated face (surface)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1356 Views, 1 Reply

How to repeat or pattern a cut on an elongated face (surface)

I have a model with a long thin faces (the faces are reinforcement "ribs" inside an airplane wing).

To keep the 3D-printed wing light, I want to cut away the rib using circles or triangles.  See the attached photo for an example.  In the attached photo, the "ribs" are slightly curved, but I could also make them straight if that would help.

Is there any way to repeat a sketch shape or model feature along a path on a face, but with scaling.  The circle cutouts need to get smaller and smaller as the height of the wing cross-section changes.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you find an answer?  The basic process is to use a loft.  Create a sketch at each end with the profile of the cutout for each.  If you want the cutouts to take a curved path, then use a spline as a guide. You can use multiple sketches if you want the profile to change along the length, for example if you want the center wider than the ends. If the cutouts are the same from the fuselage to the wing tip, then you can use a rectangular pattern. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report