Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole cutting through all parts.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
roguiebear
547 Views, 4 Replies

Hole cutting through all parts.

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the world of Fusion 360, using it for 3D printing. I'm currently designing a under water camera winch to use on a RC bait boat for fishing. I created 2 boxes, 1 for the servo side of the winch and 1 for the transmitters. I also designed the servo mount separately and copied it in to my main design, placed it where I needed it and combined the 2 designs. I then needed to add 2 holes at the bottom of each box so I can use some metal pipe to hold the  boxes together and run the wires from one side to the other.

The problem I have is that cutting 1 of the holes in the faces of the boxes near the servo mount, I've extended it past the servo mount hoping that it would remove that part of the mount, but it puts a hole in the box but does nothing to the servo mount, leaving it blocking part of the hole. If I highlight the inside of the hole it shows a cut through the servo mount, but it doesn't seem to render it. I'm sure it's something simple I've missed or done wrong, but I've tried things found while searching for a fix but it's got me beat.

EDIT: I just noticed it says the servo is out of date?! I haven't changed anything in the design of the servo, and it only popped up when I opened it up today.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.Screenshot (14).png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Bunga777
in reply to: roguiebear

I think the source of confusion is this Combine feature.

I don't understand the intent of why Combine here.

bunga_0-1667819150753.png

And since Keep Tools is used as an option for Combine, I think there is some confusion about the subsequent drilling options due to the fact that the body is duplicated as a result since the tools remain after combining.

Organizing there will unify the use of components and bodies beyond that point, making things smarter.

Also, with a design of this magnitude, it seems to me that it would be less confusing to not use the external file component until you get used to it.

I hope that gives you a few clues.

Message 3 of 5
jhackney1972

The Servo Mount component is an external component, in your assembly.  Features you create in your top level components WILL NOT affect an external component.  If you desire for the hole to extend through or into the External Component you must either add the hole directly to the external component either from an edit in the top level assembly, easiest, or open the external component and edit it there.  In the video I edit the external component in place to show what I mean.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 5
roguiebear
in reply to: jhackney1972

The video helped explain it and was easy for me to understand what I had done wrong and need to do. Thank you.

So for future reference to make it easier, I should have done the main body sketch and the sperate servo mount sketch all in the same workspace and just moved it as required to over come this?

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
jhackney1972

Not necessarily.  The way you created the two components is a valid workflow.  You just have to realize the status of the components when you are performing Top-Down design.  When you mention "moving" your components, I would suggest using assembly Joints instead of the Move command.  They are much more controllable and robust.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report