Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatten Balsa or Plywood Fuselage parts of a model airplane

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
r.guzardo
723 Views, 14 Replies

Flatten Balsa or Plywood Fuselage parts of a model airplane

I know this has been asked in a myriad of different ways by other forum users and on all the RC forums. 

Currently, I'm attempting to accomplish this flatten function using meshmixer, but that seems to be going away. AutoDesk states they are incorporating some of the functionality of meshmixer in the Fusion360. Will the "unfold" or flatten feature be in the updates?

I have come across discussions of solutions, in Fusion360,  claiming to use the sheet metal function. I have been able to flatten a spline shape by creating a flange on the spline, but have had no success once the sheet metal part is edited for its final shape. 

The material is usually lite-ply or balsa. 

On a positive note, I've achieved a certain level of success with creating model in fusion!

(The windscreen modeling is for another topic, so don't judge!  It is also to be cut from a flat sheet.)

Thanks 

Joe

My success!My success!What I need FlatteningWhat I need Flattening

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mango.freund
in reply to: r.guzardo

hello, your winch protection part has two edges and a radius? that should go with the sheet metal rules. However, you should never construct the substructure with splines or bend it in two planes. there are no sheet metal rules for this. but with arcs and lines a processing is possible. greetings mango
Message 3 of 15

@mango.freund as long as it creates a developable surface you can use a spline.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
jhackney1972

Please attach your model or at least the component you show that needs to be flattened. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 15
r.guzardo
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hey John, 

Here is just the Fuselage Top 

https://a360.co/3n9T7h8 

Message 6 of 15
jhackney1972

My method is to actually replicate your component into a sheet metal component and then flatten it.  The process is outlined in the Screencast.  In the attached model, I have turned off the visibility of your component and changed the opacity also.  Let me know if you have any questions.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 7 of 15
TrippyLighting

The reason John is thickening a surface instead of directly converting your part into a sheet metal component is that the way you designed the piece, would not create cut walls perpendicular to the top and bottom surfaces.

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
r.guzardo
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yes, you are correct, they do need to be perpendicular to the top and bottom surfaces.  I tried several ways to create tabs and slots to achieve this. The method I used here is about the closest and cleanest. Now to try it on the laser and see how it works. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 15
r.guzardo
in reply to: jhackney1972

You are the man John!

I am going to work on this technique in the hopes of replicating what you demonstrated. 

Thank you very much!!

Message 10 of 15
r.guzardo
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Do you have a recommended method for creating the tabs and slots so they are exactly perpendicular, in order to avoid the surface steps?

Message 11 of 15
NoonsKnives
in reply to: mango.freund

This is the fuselage side I have been trying to flatten and may have to resort to doing it by hand

Message 12 of 15
r.guzardo
in reply to: NoonsKnives

That looks like it has some compound curves. I had used meshmixer for those types of surfaces. Now, all the mesh tools are in fusion. I’ve yet to experiment with them. 

Message 13 of 15

TheCADWhisperer_0-1658007156104.png

One problem - your cut edges are not perpendicular to the faces - so top side and bottom side will be different.

(...or inside/outside depending on what you want to call them.)

>>Unwrap<<

Message 14 of 15

Looking like I will be making changes to the fuselage. 

thank you

Message 15 of 15

Use Surface modeling techniques.

Thicken if needed/desired.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report