Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet help - fillet only part of a face

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
relopesfusion0
1280 Views, 28 Replies

Fillet help - fillet only part of a face

Hello, I have encountered an annoying issue with filleting and could not solve it using fillet with rules or tweaking the sketch. before I go around creating a very convoluted workflow/hack, I though I´d ask the wiser here.

I am creating a piece of furniture and have two bodies that will come together to for a set of legs. They are separate pieces but get finished together. In this case, a round over.
one of the pieces however gets all of its edges selected when filleting. this produces a result that is far from what I am trying to achieve as the roundover should follow the design of both pieces together and not each individually. Moreover, I do not want to fillet where the leg touches the floor. There are vertices on the sketch in both points but it seems that fusion sees them as a seamless form and ignores any break, point or vertice I would expect to use as a "stop" point.
Images below.

Thank you for your wisdom 🙂

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18.12.36.png

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18.13.03.png

   

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18.13.28.png

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29

This version eliminates both problems. It allows to round over the edges and and creates the  sharp edge I pointed out in my last post.

It also eliminates the unidentified problem I mentioned.

TrippyLighting_0-1678326877998.png

And if you do change your mind and want a chamfer, well, it does that too:

TrippyLighting_1-1678327011071.png

EESignature

Message 22 of 29

Neat!
I assume the design change on the leg arrangement is what did it and is also related to the unidentified issue with it?
I am still trying to understand 1) why the design tweak enables the fillet to flow across two bodies and 2) what misterious issue you refer to.
I am recreating a joint used in some lounge chairs, but I am doing it by memory so yours may be closer. I can accept either, so long as one piece "enters"  the other´s space, resulting in more support and glueing area.

As for the sharp angles, that is what I meant when I said "close", i don´t want the sharp angle in my physical piece, so will prob leave some extra material on the big leg for the smooth transition to happen. This discrepancy is something I can live with between digital and real life.

Now please, do enlighten me on the unidentified problem 🙂

Edit! gotcha me finks.

relopesfusion0_0-1678369000866.png

it would hurt on assemby

Message 23 of 29

The "unidentified" problem is that in your original design you use a mortise/tenon joint which allows you to assemble the lil leg into the big leg in one direction:

TrippyLighting_0-1678365748059.png

When you are trying to do that, you'll notice that ther is an interference due to an undercut tht will not allow you to slide the lil leg into the joint:

TrippyLighting_2-1678365839232.png

THe reason the two fillets match is because the angle of the cut exactly halves the nagke between teh two joining faces. You should be able to see how I created that in the sketch: 

TrippyLighting_4-1678366078194.png

TrippyLighting_5-1678366121154.png

EESignature

Message 24 of 29

Thanks @TrippyLighting. I ended up taking your solution partilally. The reason being that if I change the angle on the bottom bit to what youhad, I end up losing support on the joint which defeats the purpose of having a housed mortise+tenon. If I am going through the extra trouble of doing this more complex joinery, it better do its job 🙂
Of course, that means that filleting does not work that well, again.
All that said, I think your proposed solution is a very good and clean one. I am just being very picky on the design now and if I have to sacrifice fusion fidelity for build strength I know which way I am going 🙂

And thanks for spotting the problem with the fitting. Saved me future frustrations and a homer simpson "Doh" moment in the workshop.

relopesfusion0_0-1678382955195.png

My halfway house.

Message 25 of 29

I'd love to see the finished result!

@relopesfusion0 wrote:

Thanks @TrippyLighting. I ended up taking your solution partilally. The reason being that if I change the angle on the bottom bit to what youhad, I end up losing support on the joint which defeats the purpose of having a housed mortise+tenon. If I am going through the extra trouble of doing this more complex joinery, it better do its job 🙂
Of course, that means that filleting does not work that well, again.
All that said, I think your proposed solution is a very good and clean one. I am just being very picky on the design now and if I have to sacrifice fusion fidelity for build strength I know which way I am going 🙂

And thanks for spotting the problem with the fitting. Saved me future frustrations and a homer simpson "Doh" moment in the workshop.

relopesfusion0_0-1678382955195.png

My halfway house.

That's a nice solution!
Please post images of the finished piece!

EESignature

Message 26 of 29

cheers. will do!

Message 27 of 29

Hi all that lent an neuron or two on this topic from a while ago. I thought I´d make good on my promise and share some images of the actual built. It came out really nice and I am quite chuffed with the result.
thanks all for sharing your time and thoughts on this!
@TrippyLighting @Phil.E @davebYYPCU @matthewZYM62 @jhackney1972 🙏20240325_131649.jpg
20240325_131726.jpg20240325_141545.jpg20240325_141612.jpg

Renato

Message 28 of 29

Thanks for sharing! That is a beautiful result indeed! 

EESignature

Message 29 of 29
Phil.E
in reply to: relopesfusion0

Nice! Thanks for posting the pics!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report