Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add a kink to sheet metal cross section

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kris.jackson92
341 Views, 5 Replies

Can't add a kink to sheet metal cross section

I'm trying to model a cross section for a car chassis in sheet metal, it needs to have a lip/brim on the edge of it to attach to the car, but it also needs to have a kink part way down the length of it.

I can't seem to get these 2 requirements to work together. I've tried sketching the length of the section with the kink and then adding a flange but I can't find a way to add the lip afterwards. I've tried splitting it in to 2 parts, sketching the cross section and then joining the 2 lengths but I can't build the kink in, and then finally tried sketching the cross section, extruding the full length of the part and adding a bend but there are interjection and interfering errors.

I'm by no means a 3d modeller but thought it would be easier to model this than it is turning out to be

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I used your cross-section but the length is just arbitrary.  The "kink" angle is approximately to what you modeled, again I just wanted to see if this suits your needs.  Of course this shape will not unfold, you did not mention that as a requirement.  If it suits and you need help interpreting the timeline, let me know.  Model is attached.

Sheet Metal Beam with Bend.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 6
Bunga777
in reply to: kris.jackson92

I saw this using a sheet metal miter treatment.

I am not sure if this can actually be fabricated in sheet metal.

First of all, the sheet metal does not seem to be right-angled in this first sketch in the figure below, so this will not allow the sheet metal to move properly.

I will review the sketch carefully.

bunga_0-1671760146558.png

Horizontal as shown here.

bunga_1-1671760206086.png

Sketch the bends to be mitered on the end faces.

bunga_2-1671760247313.png

After that, select profiles and edges.

bunga_3-1671760280195.png

The miter treatment gap of the sheet metal rule has been reduced.

bunga_4-1671760367743.png

The final shape is shown here.

bunga_5-1671760526812.png

Video here.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/5b3255cf-0af1-4d36-8c03-08cba2c6ebd0

I have attached the data for your reference.

Message 4 of 6
stiller.design
in reply to: Bunga777

you won't be able to unfold / fabricate this kink. its self intersecting (inner side)
Message 5 of 6
Bunga777
in reply to: stiller.design

Hi, @stiller.design 

I know this cannot be manufactured with regular sheet metal, which is why I wrote that in the first place.

I just presented it as a methodology for modeling with sheet metal, and if you really want to manufacture this part, it is the manufacturer, not this forum, that you are discussing this project with.

Message 6 of 6
stiller.design
in reply to: Bunga777

yeah, I thought so....you were just trying to help with the 3d modeling

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report