Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Model Failing to Print

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1040 Views, 15 Replies

3D Model Failing to Print

I have designed a model in Fusion 360. This model is to replace the ball holders on a Newton's cradle I modeled and 3D printed in the past. This model helps the string stay centered and should be easier to get the balls centered and aligned correctly.

The problem is the model has failed to print every time I have tried printing it, but other models print fine. It will just stop extruding about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through, it varies.

My main question I have is, could there be a problem with the model itself that is causing this and if so how would I go about finding the issue and resolving it?

Thanks,

Justin

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jeevesme
in reply to: Anonymous

There's nothing wrong with the file or .stl that Fusion makes.  Brought it into Simplify 3d, Cura, and Craftware.  All of them look normal.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Forever yours,
Love,
Brian

PS. If this answered your question, please mark as answered so others do not read through the posts trying to figure out if it was answered.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jeevesme

Hmm okay interesting. Thanks for checking it out. Can't figure out what is causing the issue with this particular model.

I thought maybe there was something causing it with the design of the model itself.

Simplify3D is the only one I have tried importing the model into.

Thanks again,

Justin

Message 4 of 16
etfrench

Can you expand on how it's failing?  Are you using supports for the fillets? What settings are you using to print it?  What kind of filament?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Sure! The print is failing and looks like it just quits extruding. I am only using supports in the hole/eyelet, but not on the fillet currently. I may add supports on the fillet if necessary though.

I am using 1.75 mm PLA Filament with the following settings:

Extrusion Multiplier = 1.00

Retraction Distance = 1.00 mm

Retraction Speed = 20.0 mm/s

Layer Height = 0.1000 mm

Infill = Rectilinear at 100%

Temperature = 215 C

Cooling Fan = On

Print Speed = 60 mm/s

Let me know if you are looking for any other information.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 16
etfrench

The settings look reasonable.  When I have print failures, I drop the speed by 50% and try again.  Increasing or decreasing the hotend temperature may help. 

Does the extruder motor stop turning? Can you force the filament through the hotend (manually) when it stops extruding? Is the stepper driver getting too hot?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

I could try printing it at a slower speed, but typically that speed works fine. I will test out changing the speed though and see if it makes a difference. 

The extruder motor keeps turning and I can push the filament through by hand just fine. I don't believe the driver is getting too hot as the fan is running properly and it seems to work fine on other prints that take longer.

Appreciate the help.

Message 8 of 16
dieselguy65

what printer are you using?

your description sure sounds more like a feed issue than an issue in fusion.

are you saying it stops feeding at the same exact place each time on this model, but not others that are longer prints?

and the extruder is still turning, just not extruding filament?

but you can manually force filament thru?

im going to try a print and see what happens

Printed fine. took 8 minutes. when i opened your model in fusion, i did notice there are four warnings on extrusions you made.

but it exported and printed fine.

Message 9 of 16
etfrench
in reply to: dieselguy65

You can also verify the diameter of the filament is within specs (especially at the failure point).

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
dieselguy65

since it fails repeatedly, and others print it could be this. but i would doubt it. never hurts to check

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks for the willingness to test this out, but I think I just discovered the same issue happening on another model. This would appear that it was a fluke that it happened to the same model 6 different times, but didn't happen on others.

This is why initially I thought it might be the model itself.

It stops extruding at different places while printing. The gear is still turning though.

I am using a Flashforge Dreamer Printer.

Thanks again for the response and help.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

I've used a bunch of this same filament from the same spool in the past without issue, but next chance I get I will measure the filament with calipers.

Message 13 of 16
etfrench

@Anonymous wrote:

It stops extruding at different places while printing. The gear is still turning though.

Are the teeth on the extruder gear clean and sharp?  Is there enough pressure holding the filament against the gear? Is the gear chewing into the filament when it stops?  Is the filament spool wound too tightly?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
dieselguy65

have yu tried the flashforge forums? since this is definitely a printer issue, thats where i would try.

i have the Creator pro 2, about 2500 hours on it so far and its flawless.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

The teeth on the gear appear to be sharp and look like they did new. I made sure the teeth were clean though. The extruder is able to pull the filament through my grip, so I would believe that it has enough pressure. It did not appear to be chewing in to the filament which is odd. The filament on the spool appears to be loose and not tangled.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

I was not aware they had a forum honestly (thought I checked in the past and didn't see one, but I will check again). Thanks for the help and I agree it appears to be a printer problem in this case so I apologize for posting it in the Fusion forums, but I initially thought it was caused by the model in particular.

Thanks again,

Justin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report