Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demo Video Sample - 2D Contour with full outline selection?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
WHolzwarth
705 Views, 16 Replies

Demo Video Sample - 2D Contour with full outline selection?

I don't know, if it's possible.

I'm trying - after an initial facing - a 2D Contour with full depth around the complete outline (Linear - small radius - big radius - small radius).

Problem for me is including the small radii into the path. File is Demo Video Sample from the CAM Samples

Outline selection - how.jpg

Is that possible, and how to do it?

Thanks for hints

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
curtis.chan
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hi there...have you tried selecting the outside circular edges as well in the contour selection?

Pic.png

Message 3 of 17
bobvdd
in reply to: curtis.chan

If this is the contour you are after, look at attached file.

2DContour.PNG

I had to create a separate sketch, project body edges in it and make the body temporarily invisible to be able to pick the sketch geometry in the 2DContour operation.

To get rid of the unwanted arc extension , I had to do some extra surgery:

Break link + Break + Delete

break link.png

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 17
WHolzwarth
in reply to: curtis.chan

That didn't work, Curtis.

If you do that, a greater part of the circle than needed is selected.

I suspect, it isn't possible with the actual state of development of F360 CAM

Walter

Later: Seems to be possible, though it should be easier. Thanks, Bob. I'll try it.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
Lonnie.Cady

I don't have that exact part so this may not work in it, but have you tried 3D contour?

Message 6 of 17
Lonnie.Cady

I don't have that exact part so this may not work in it, but have you tried 3D contour?  If you have access to 3d contour you can set the max stepdown to greater than the part thickness and turn off flat area detection.  This would prevent you from having to make any extra sketches.

3d contour.png

Message 7 of 17
HughesTooling

Looks like what you're after is in the pipeline.

http://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=6742.0

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
WHolzwarth
in reply to: HughesTooling

Smiley Wink I'm glad to see that, Mark. Hopefully no need for an additional topic in IdeaStation.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
bobvdd

I like Lonnie's solution much better than mine 🙂

Here is the f3d part with 3D Contour only no extra sketches needed.

I had to lower the top plane and I added several "Avoid" surfaces.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 10 of 17
WHolzwarth
in reply to: bobvdd

Thanks to Bob, Mark and Lonnie.

Another question: What's the best way for machining the resting edges? And is it a good workflow, if the milling tool is moving with it's full perimeter through the stock?

3D contour - edge spaces left.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
HughesTooling

You should be able to do this with 3d pocket but it doesn't seem to work very well. The problems I have are you can't seem to make it cut the full depth in one go and I think there's a bug with safe distance. Fusion tries to force the safe distance to more than the step down and then all your retracts are forced to that distance, in this case if you let Fusion set minimum distance to 36mm all the retracts lift to 36mm above the job which is unnecessary.

If you don't mind drawing a 2d curve 2D pocket does the job a lot better, see attached file. Safe distance works how I would expect with the 2d pocket!

Mark.

PS you would do the pocket before the finish contour you already have.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
Lonnie.Cady

@WHolzwarth 

I would approach this a little differently.  I would have used adaptive clearing first and then done a 2 d countour for finishing.  Adaptive cleaing are more for roughing and countour for finishing.

I had a chace to download the part and play with it.  I think the easiest method is similar to @bobvdd approach except instead of create a plane at the top and projecting the geometry I created a mid plane and selected the faces in the part that contained the geometry profile.  I then created as sketch and used the intersection option to create the sketch rather than project. You get more geometry than you need but there is no need to go back and clean it up just leave it.  This eliminates the need to trim up the sketches that you get from project.  Now just select the outside sketch for your geomety and set you heights.  It is acutally a pretty quick method.

I attached what I would have done

contour.pngadaptive.png

Message 13 of 17
bobvdd
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

Now that I think of it mid-plane and intersection are a much more clever way of dealing with the silhouettes than I originally outlined in my first reply.All this of course on the premise that you can find the right plane to give you all the silhouettes that you need, which is the case in this part with the mid-plane.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 14 of 17
Lonnie.Cady

I just got lucky @bobvdd Smiley Wink

Many part would not lend themselves to the intersectoin either.  They need a silhouette option.

Message 15 of 17
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

Meanwhile I tried to get a workflow on my own, with help by all your hints. I think, I've learned some new stuff.

Attached is my F3D file. IMO it's not perfect, and comments or other files are welcome, even though I don't like the Fusion 360 Cloud file handling at all. That's far away from being productive.

I'm not sure, but perhaps there's a small bug in 2DAdaptive2 at the end of the CAM Setup. A small spot of material is left near the symmetry plane. See picture.

CAM - Material is left.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
bobvdd

Seems weird that the sliver of material gets left behind in the 2DAdaptive operation.

Might have something to do with the Minimum Cutting Radius on the passes tab. If I reduce it from 1.6 mm to 1.0 mm , the sliver disappears.

I have logged it in our defect database with number CAM-1119.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 17 of 17
WHolzwarth

Thanks, Bob.

I've set minimum cutting radius to zero now, with same result as yours.

Smiley WinkStill learning

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report