Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to CAM a helical gear?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1359 Views, 7 Replies

Best way to CAM a helical gear?

I will have a 4th axis that I can use for my mock up helical gear. I am trying to figure out what CAM cycle(s) would be the best one to form the teeth. I plan to use a ball end mill for the work. I see that others on YouTube have been able to do live 4th axis to help them get their gears cut out, but I can't seem to get Fusion CAM to want to do it.

I was hoping that there would be a way to machine out one tooth at a time and just have the 4th axis do live machining to index itself as needed for the end mill to reach all the places where it needs to go.

Here is my file:

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you planing to rough the teethe out first then finish with a ball mill or try and do it in one go.

Using the ramp toolpath then doing a pattern toolpath of 32 times works ok

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: daniel_lyall

I figured I could try to do it with two tools. One slightly larger to rough out as much as it can reach and then a smaller one running higher RPM to do the finish pass.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I cant find this pattern tool path you speak of.

Message 5 of 8
daniel_lyall

It's under the setup menu

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Oh, ok. That's very interesting. I can use one tool path and then drop it into a pattern folder to duplicate the rest of the teeth since they are the same.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I see this does indexed 4th axis. Is live 4th axis still in development?

Message 8 of 8
daniel_lyall

Continus 4th axis is still in development.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report