Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Formit to Revit 2019 is "unresponsive"

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jroyMFZU3
256661 Views, 7 Replies

Import Formit to Revit 2019 is "unresponsive"

Hello,

I have a skp file that I converted into Formit using the online version. It uploads great into Formit. I then saved it to a file. Now when I try to use the import Formit into RVT in Revit, nothing happens. I just get the circle cursor and Revit says "Not Responding" at the top. I've tried it many times now. Any suggestions? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jroyMFZU3
in reply to: jroyMFZU3

I should also mention that the add-in to convert from SKP to RFA wasn't working either, so I had to use the online Formit format. 

Message 3 of 8
josh.goldstein
in reply to: jroyMFZU3

Hi jroyMFZU3,

When converting a SketchUp file to FormIt, you'll want to do a few things to make sure the file is clean and ready before sending it on to Revit:

- Models should be watertight/solid before sending to Revit. In FormIt, use shortcut DW to display watertight issues in the file. This can also be found in the Visual Styles panel on the right (sunglasses icon) under the Diagnostics tab. Try using it in conjunction with Monotone Mode (shortcut DM) to make the lines more clear.

This will highlight any edge that is not contributing to a solid model (also known as a non-manifold edge), and may need to be deleted, or the face needs to be extruded, or an adjacent face needs be drawn to ensure the model is solid and watertight. In some cases you may just need to extrude a flat surface into a 3D solid. For 3D shapes, you can try selecting edges that are non-manifold and use FormIt's Cover tool (shortcut CV) to try and automatically draw the adjacent face that is missing. You may need to employ a mix of Cover tool and manually drawing lines to get faces to appear. 

- As part of ensuring the model is solid/watertight, you should check the Display Back Faces diagnostic too (shortcut DB), which will highlight the backsides of faces in red. We also recommend using this in Monotone Mode (shortcut DM). These back faces should always face towards the inside of a solid, so you don't want any of these red faces oriented outwards. When covering solid models, FormIt should automatically flip the faces, but you can flip them yourself by selecting them and using shortcut FF. You can also invoke Reverse Face from the context menu. 

Attached is a quick Screencast showing how to use Monotone Mode, Display Watertight Issues, and Display Back Faces diagnostics in conjunction to correct a simple SketchUp model that exhibits all of these issues. Before sending your model to Revit, you should see no red lines or red faces when using these diagnostics in Monotone Mode - this is a way to check the model is clean and ready to go.

- Finally, try converting the FormIt model to Revit in smaller pieces. The conversion process is intensive and can result in Revit hanging if you try and convert very large or complex models in one step.

Hope this helps,

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 4 of 8

Not sure the Screencast came through the first time, so adding it here just in case.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 5 of 8
jroyMFZU3
in reply to: josh.goldstein

Perfect. The model wasn't watertight. Thanks

Message 6 of 8

Your tutorial about "cleaning" up the FormIt model is nice. So it works, I finally imported FormIt model into Revit. But. I tryied Farnsworth House from Primer tutorial for FormIt, and all slabs are gone, only columns and some furniture. Maybe it could be nice to enclose tutorial how to import (succesfully) FormIt models into Revit in basic tutorial like Primer mentioned above.

Message 7 of 8

Add about slabs - when they are as "mass" in FormIt, they will not show in Revit. Only 2d drawing is present in floor plans and that is all.

Message 8 of 8

Two things to test out...

- In Revit, Masses don't show in all views by default - you have to check on the Mass Category in the Visibility Graphics menu (VG shortcut). Then you should see floor slabs and other elements from FormIt that were categorized as Mass.

- The other thing to check is that in floor plan views Revit has a View Property which is called View Range - this may prevent you from seeing floor slabs that are technically below the view plane... 

Hope these help!

Tobias 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report